CHAPTER 3

Oakmont Preparatory School

Pittsburgh, PA

2010

Young Xander Whitt barreled down the hallway leaping in celebration of his last exam before graduation from Oakmont Preparatory School – a boarding school for the region's brightest students. Xander's blonde hair shuffled across his forehead into his pale blue eyes as he hurried toward the exit. With a smacking of the door, his vision retreated behind a squint as it hit the sunlight of the school grounds. The sun struck his high cheek bones, illuminating the few light freckles sprinkled over them. His lips were pencil thin and gentle, even as they cracked a wide smile at the realization of his completion of High School. His frame stood acute and underdeveloped, still small and smooth. His dimpling chin rounded out his cherubic features, giving him an air of youth, retained through his adolescence.

Despite not being able to remember his parents or anyone who ever loved him, Xander was able to keep his emotions controlled during his schooling and excelled in the rigorous academics that school offered. Xander was nothing short of a genius, being two years younger than anyone else in his graduating class. His skipping gait across the campus toward his dormitory accelerated to a full canter. He passed the girl's dormitory, where he and his friends would plant the occasional prank on its residents. He then passed the trail into the woods where he and his fellow students would sneak to after curfew, building fires in the neighboring woods and sharing stories, both poetic and comical. He ran across the baseball field toward the administration building remembering his time as the lead hitter in the clean-up spot of the school's batting order. He relished the feeling of the wind brushing across his face, as he emerged from the memories of his time at Oakmont Preparatory. He was now a young man ready for the world. He lifted his eyes and came to a dead halt as he made out a familiar figure in the distance watching him. Near the administration building was Dean Ellington who was beckoning his approach, and so he hurried past his dormitory toward him.

"Congratulations Xander! Our valedictorian! Well done!" Dean Ellington smiled as he shook Xander's hand tight. The Dean's comb over was usually far too tight, but today it hung with a slight wave, revealing the graying of his roots.

"Thank you sir..." Xander had picked up the proper manners of etiquette from his schoolmates and his foster mother. He followed the Dean into the building toward his office as the Dean began his soap box.

"Being a flagship branch of the Olympic Academy education network, we are proud that this institution continues to maintain an advanced curriculum steeped in intense classical Liberal Arts. Oakmont stands with the other nine Olympic Academies across the United States as the most prestigious high school of the region."

"Yes sir, I am very proud to becoming an alumnus of this academy," Xander offered, adopting a more formalized demeanor for the Dean.

"Now I know my students, Xander. I would be lying if I didn't admit that the majority of the student body are snobbish elitists..." Xander craned his head up toward the Dean in disbelief of the statement, as they came to his office door.

"However you are different, Xander. There is an incredible opportunity waiting for you behind this door. I want you to consider it and above all of I want you to follow your heart." Xander felt the heat rise from under his collar as he responded with a nod. Unsure of what was to come, Xander tugged at his sleeve to straighten his appearance.

"Yes sir," Xander exhaled, catching his breath from his jog across campus.

The office door opened.