CHAPTER 40

Alexandria, VA

2016

A storage facility door screeched to life like a New York shop opening for business. The rivets tumbled up into the ceiling to reveal a storage unit filled with everything a black operative could possibly need. Xander had surgical equipment, explosives, drugs for sting operations and above all else a full armory of firearms. An assortment of semi-automatic rifles and pistols lined the walls held by heavy peg holders. A table held a variety of explosives and most firearm modifications – on and off the market.

At the sight of the arsenal, Seamus shrugged with a suppressed awe.

"Don't act like you're not impressed..." Xander sensed him over his shoulder as they entered the storage unit.

"I've seen better..."

"Fiona and I set this up..." Xander's voice trailed. Seamus put his hand on his friend's shoulder.

"I am still in shock at what happened. I don't know how you carry on." Xander's head dropped.

"Hey! Looky here!" Seamus turned Xander square to him. Xander raised his gaze through weak eyes to meet his friend's.

"We are going to stop this attack. What happened to Fiona was a travesty, but we have a different bomb to think about right now... you got me?"

Xander offered a defeated agreement and wiped the struggle from his face. He threw two duffel bags down on the table and started filling them with every need possible from the arsenal. Xander approached a large rifle on the far wall with a scope and a long barrel. He took the sniper rifle off of its pegs and disassembled it in a few quick motions so it could fit in pieces into his bag.

Both he and Seamus's phones dinged.

It was an email from Axle.

The subject line read: Duke Has Been Found

Seamus quickly opened the email and read the message.

"I know this complicates your search for Agent Zero, but the attached picture was recovered in a set of hacked documents from an online terrorist network."

Seamus punched the attachment open and gasped at what he was looking at. The picture was of Duke with a bullet hole in his head.

"Duke is dead?!" Seamus wondered aloud. Xander stared off in the distance.

"That means Agent Zero is one of us. We have to watch our backs Seamus." Seamus locked eyes and offered a slight nod of the head.

They gathered their duffels and left as quickly as they had arrived. The storage unit door shut leaving the arsenal in the darkness.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Inside the white Georgetown mansion, Hardy gulped down a second Cognac on the rocks. He looked at his watch, the gold one he received from his friend, the Vice President, and noticed he was only twenty minutes behind schedule. A faint blue stretched across the sky as twilight descended on the city. He knew it was time to dress himself for another night of pageantry and parties. He stumbled up a couple of stairs, using the hand railing a little more than usual. Laid out on his bed was his best tuxedo. He began dressing and couldn't help but ponder the Spartan operation currently underway.

He used his reflection in the mirror to tie his bowtie. It was crooked, he'd fix it later. He hurried downstairs after throwing his hair to one side with one stroke of the hand. On the counter was a single square of fine card stock. It was an ornately decorated invitation. With a symbol impressed upon the back of it, a logo of a sun encircled.

He strolled outside and plopped in the back seat of a sleek, black Lincoln. The driver closed the door behind him and drove off toward the Fourth of July festivities at the Smithsonian that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like it? Don't forget to Vote and Comment! What did you think?