Chapter ThirtyEight

Jake was allowed to leave the next morning. Since he had his super-werewolf-heeling-genes his concussion was almost all the way healed.

To me his release was a great sense of relief because even though I knew it wasn't bad, there had been a dreadful feeling in me since it had happened. To him, he saw this as an opportunity to begin operation protect Jen.

He had already met with Tyler to talk about what they were gonna do about the situation, especially if it escalated. He seemed to go from meeting to meeting with different pack members explaining the situation. During these painfully long meetings, I was dragged along to keep Jake sane. He wouldn't even let me go to the restroom myself, excusing himself from the elder he was talking to in order to follow me.

By lunch time my patience was running thin. As he was making our sandwiches and talking about how safe I was, I snapped.

"Can you just shut up? I'm pretty sure Luca's not just gonna waltz in here and take me with everyone around." My voice was annoyed and whiney, which took Jake by surprise. After his mouth dropped open it took him a few seconds to close it and respond.

"Just like he wouldn't waltz up to the front door to do it? Or bribe the pizza guy to get through the house? Believe it or not I'm trying to help you because I care about you. But apparently you're just all knowing. So maybe I should tell all the guards they can go back to their waiting families and unlock all the doors since Jen over here thinks it's such an inconvenience." His voice is raised to a shout at the end, queuing the tears to creep out of my eyes.

I didn't respond, turning away from him and to the fridge to make some lemonade, attempting to hide my tears. It seemed like and okay idea at the time, but now I regretted my words. He sighed and set the ingredients he was holding down, walking over to me.

"I'm so sorry." He wraps his arms around me and I lean against his chest.

"No, I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry. My emotions have been all over the place lately." He nods, letting me go and returning to the sandwich making.

"I totally understand, I know this is a lot for you to take in."

I didn't respond, letting the silence take over. My mind started to wander, making me remember my friends; my family.

I missed them quite much and I knew I'd have to either make up another excuse soon or go home. The last lie I'd told my mother would give me another week and a half, and after that I just didn't know.

May had ended and June had brought more sun and more heat. I figured my friends were hanging out every other night, partying and getting ready for senior year. In a regular summer I would be upset I was missing it. With Jake though, I really could care less.

After I had whipped up the drinks and Jake had set the sandwiches down we began to eat. As I raised the sandwich to my nose I caught a whiff of the mayonnaise and my stomach clenched. I dropped the sandwich and turned my nose away, preparing to run towards the bathroom.

"What's wrong with it? Did I add something extra? I thought this was the sandwich I made you a week ago." I shook my head to shush him and held my breath. He quickly got up and chucked the sandwich, then madly swinging his arms to try to fan out the air.

When I breathed in again I could still smell it, and this time I did run to the bathroom, Jake closely following me.

He held my hair when I threw up.