Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tegan’s POV

“Tegan, what do you need sweetheart?” Chris asked me.

“Well, I want to find mum. She won’t reply to daddy’s phone calls or texts and I just really need to see her again.” I explained, twisting a strand of hair around my fingers. “What’s her phone number or address?”

“She lives at 133 Station Road in the South side of London.” He told me, sighing slightly. “Listen Tee, running away from your dad isn’t going to help anything. You promise that you’ll tell him before you try to visit her or anything?”

“Yeah of course.” I lied, crossing my fingers behind my back, knowing fully well that he couldn’t see me.

“Good girl.” He said, with what sounded like a smile on his face. “I best be off, lovely to hear from you again. Bye.”

“Yeah, bye.” And with that small sentence he was gone again. Just like everything I’ve ever let get close to me. I know I haven’t seen him in like 10 years and the only times I’ve spoken to him are a few times over the phone when daddy tried to get a new phone number for mum out of them, but he was still gone. I was still alone.

I changed into some skinny jeans and a plain grey sweatshirt, applying a little eyeliner and mascara and leaving my hair down. I shoved my iPod into my docks and blared out some old music that I used to love when I was about four, according to daddy. I rummaged around for a rucksack and began filling it with clothes, money and other necessities I’d require, not forgetting the pink slip of paper I had written the address on. I had just enough money left on my oyster card to get me to the other side of London and then I had some cash which would be enough for a cab if I needed one and possibly a hotel room, again if needed. I had everything planned out in my mind. I’d searched for directions from the closet tube station and I was pretty sure I knew how to get there. I just had to hope that I could navigate myself around London alone.

My plans and fantasies were torn from my mind with a sudden knock on the door.

“Tee, please let me in sweetheart. I just want to talk.” Daddy said softly. I shoved the packed bag into my wardrobe and opened the door. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I shrugged, even though his words were still fresh in my mind. He enveloped me in a hug, pulling me into his chest whilst he gently stroked my back comfortingly.

“Rach phoned.” Daddy said out the blue. “She said that she thought it would be better if we cancelled the trip today, given what happened yesterday.” He was referring to what he believed was my wrong doing, I could tell that she would cook up some lie as an excuse. “So I was thinking maybe we could have a pyjama day and watch movies all day?” I nodded in response, a small fake smile spreading across my face.

“Sounds good to me, you pick a movie and I’ll get changed.” I said, tugging on the seam of my jeans. He chuckled slightly and placed a kiss on my forehead before leaving me to change. I wasn’t going to. I waited until I was sure he was downstairs before grabbing my bag and opening my window. I had the bag on my back and climbing down the drainpipe was no hassle at all, and soon I had landed feet first on the grassy lawn.

I walked off in the direction of the tube, which wasn’t that far away, and swiped my oyster card allowing me onto the platform. It was crowded and busy and to be honest I was having doubts whether I really wanted to be there or not. Maybe I should just go home and tell daddy my plans and get him to take me. But then again what if he says no? What would I do then? What if I never get another chance to see her again?

I hopped on train after train and pounded the pavements before standing outside 133 Station Road. Mum’s house. I looked up at the three story house, the navy blue door with stain glass panels at the top, the large bay windows and the grassy front garden edged with bright flowers.