16

"Barney and I didn't live in poverty, but we may as well of. All the income from my mother's two jobs went into my father's daily beer intake and cigarette packs. We lived in a rickety, quaint little house, north of Waverly, Iowa. A nature reserve, Cedar Bend Park, was relatively nearby, and Barney and I would take our bikes out when father wasn't home and skip rocks across the surface of the water.

"Becoming a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent was definitely very weird. Technology I'd never even heard of was strewn lazily about, half of which seemed to never be used. It was strange, but peculiar and exciting, and I missed the presence of a brother the most at that time.

"I was so lucky to not have been killed, when I was the bad guy. Being evil had its perks, including just not giving a damn about anything, but that euphoric feeling doesn't last long, and S.H.I.E.L.D. helped me out of that dark place."

44. United Kingdom: Wales, Wednesday, August 19, 22:02

"You went against absolutely every order I gave you, stole a jet, destroyed the jet, got involved in a mass killing, blew up a building--"

"I had help," Clint interrupts Director Fury on the last one, figuring if he's in this much trouble, adding a little more won't really go against him.

"You put my other agents in danger."

Clint doesn't say anything, looking directly into Fury's eyes. It becomes a bit of a staring contest, until Fury finally says, "You did a lot of good."

"Excuse me, sir?" he asks incredulously.

"Agent Barton, you stopped HYDRA, something we've been planning for a long time."

"Sir, I didn't end HYDRA."

"Who did, then?"

Clint swallows. When he brought Natasha aboard the helicarrier, he got several dirty looks from other agents who knew the situation. As far as he knows, she's locked in one of the small glass cells, waiting for judgment. Clearly, her arrival didn't go as smoothly as Clint had hoped, but she went without a fight, which helps her cause.

"I was only of assistance. Katya, Ari, Emma... They did all the dirty work. Agent Hill continuously saved my ass. And Natasha was the spark for all of it, Director."

They continue to stare each other down, Director Fury's piercing gaze looking right into Clint's thoughts. It's certainly uncomfortable if you aren't used to it. Finally, he nods and leaves, with Clint slumping in the chair and letting out a breath of held in air.

The only thing he'd managed to keep was his small journal, always kept in his back pocket or jacket. However he lost his jacket, as well as his recurve, all his archery gear, the emergency bag, an entire S.H.I.E.L.D. quinjet, and a pocketful of pearls. The odds had not been in his favor, but Fury seemed to be glad to have one of his best back.

He doesn't know how he's ever going to explain to Natasha about the airport, if they ever get past being whatever they are-- are they acquaintances? Partners? Friends? But he knows she deserves to know the whole truth about the happenings of Hungary.

Does she remember St. Petersburg? Does she remember the platinum blonde haired woman who was following us? What is it she can't recall, besides the airport? He flips through his almost-full journal, not really looking at the words. Would this be enough?

"Agent Barton," he hears, and then sees Phil Coulson.

Smiling, he says, "Agent Coulson!"

"It's real nice to see you again. We were beginning to think maybe we never would again. Well, Fury and I never gave up hope."

"Thank you, sir."

"Howard Stark phoned in, saying he created an experiment that heightened the sight in bats. He believes he can replicate the formula to fix your hearing, and was wondering if you'd like to be a test subject." Clint's fingers brush against one of his hearing aids.

Although the availability of them has allowed him to block out any unwanted noise, he remembers an especially absurd amount of hot water he'd gotten himself into once before. On a mission, he lost both aids, having to locate everything in a dark building by only his touch, smell, and sixth senses. It's one of the closest times he's ever gotten to being killed.

"Yes, sir."

"Fantastic," he replies, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "He'll contact you."

Head swirling with ideas and thoughts, he travels to the busiest part of the helicarrier, climbs a ladder, and stands on an elevated ledge, primarily used to survey the scene, which he does.

Off in a corner, he sees Ari with his head in his left hand, spinning something around and around in his right. No one asked for Ari to be put in a cell because of his age, although no one denies that age has anything to do with what someone is capable of. So far, he's stayed to himself, already used to the high tech and busy people.

Emma was taken to the infirmary, where she'll be revived of her health in a day or two. She doesn't discuss what HYDRA tortured her with, and even if she did leak information about S.H.I.E.L.D., it wouldn't matter now. Regardless, everyone knows Emma would kill herself before she gave something away to the enemy.

In a clean uniform, now walking around with a clipboard, Agent Hill is right in her element. It's hard not to respect such a strong woman. From here, Clint can just barely see the small print of Avengers Initiative on the top sheet. She glances at him, then turns the clipboard away before he can read everything else.

Suddenly, the main door slides open, revealing Fury. A second after, Natasha walks in, her hair clean and her figure dressed in S.H.I.E.L.D. attire. Just as she's about to pull her hair up into a ponytail, her eyes find Clint's, where they already watch her.

A ghost of a smile traces her lips. It's fast and hard to catch, but he knows he was supposed to see. Looking back to Fury, Natasha finishes putting her hair up, following him to one of the empty computer screens, where he begins to explain how something works.

Watching her work is like watching a river flow. Everchanging, cool, refreshing. Her attention quickly flicks back to Clint, grinning openly now, before fully returning her thoughts to Fury's words.

And he knows that it's not only her life that has ended, that has been saved, that has began.