2

"I sometimes had trouble remembering why Fury let me live. At times, in the beginning when I first became an agent, I think Fury had trouble remembering, too. However, later on he did once say it was one of the best decisions he's ever made.

"Somehow, I'm going to have to spark up that idea again in Fury's mind. Just, this time, about the Black Widow.

"Because the moment I saw her, I remembered."

➹➹➹

2. Somewhere in Ukraine, Tuesday, August 11, 15:27

➹➹➹

"Your mission was to kill the Black Widow; easy." He rubs his temple with a black-gloved hand and groans, heavily peeved. "Assassination is not a new concept to you, Agent Barton."

The agent clenches his fists at his side, urging himself not to throw a punch. Not here, not now. This is Director Fury -- not ever.

"I know, sir."

"Then, please, enlighten me... Why do you not only let her live, but bring her on this Helicarrier?"

The assassin remains silent, wondering this exact question, and the words mull around, leaving trails of confusion. There was no fear in her eyes. She was ready to just die, which isn't always the same as giving up. But he hadn't even needed to be the one to kill her.

"I understand if you don't want so much blood on your hands. You're human, I get it. But you tell me there was a Russian spy who was sent to do his job and you kill him, Agent... Something about that seems a bit ass-backwards."

"What do you want me to do about it?" he asks, as calmly as he can muster.

"I want you to do your job. There's no time for love here."

Agent Barton doesn't reply immediately. The images of this morning replay in his mind, steady and clear but jerky and fritzy, too, like a flip book that wasn't as tediously drawn out as it should have been. After a few seconds, he says, "We can't just kill her. She's on this boat with us, literally."

Fury turns his good eye to his best agent, motioning a display of movements similar to a shove, as if the Black Widow is in front of him. The Helicarrier is high up in the air. It doesn't take a genius to understand the implication and the agent frowns. He opens his mouth to protest, a little put aside by the Director's blunt intentions, but Fury speaks first.

"She's dangerous, Agent Barton. Either you deal with her, or I will."

With that, Director Fury leaves the room, frustrated that his best agent is getting soft around the edges. Agent Barton bites his lip, looking at the door Fury has just exited.

Aloud, he eventually calls out, "I'll deal with her."

To himself, he thinks, Just not in the way you want me to.

➹➹➹

He knows it's dangerous and may risk his position as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, but he needs to prove to Fury that this woman is to be trusted. That is, after he's sure she is, indeed, trustworthy. And he can't test anything with the Director breathing down his neck to kill her.

Grabbing two equipment bags, one that safely holds his weaponry, the other with necessary paraphernalia, he shoulders one, grips the other, and heads down a corridor. It isn't much, but it'll be enough during the short time that his plan works out. Walking to her infirmary room, he first stops by the main office and grabs one of the keys hanging on the pegs.

"Sir? You can't be in this section."

Agent Barton puts a duffel bag down and fishes an ID badge from his S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform. Showing it to him, the man sees his position -- Level 7 -- and allows him to pass. When the agent finds the room she's been resting in, he unlocks the door and invites himself in. She's just pulling on a tee shirt when she hears the disturbance and whips around to glare at him.