Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I slammed the bathroom door shut. I couldn't believe I said that to Harry. Sure, the kiss had been disgusting, but I guess a lot of my anger was due to jealousy. It wasn't easy, you know? Being angry with someone you were in love with.

I sighed heavily and was just about to go into a stall when I heard a sob. "W-why did I do this to him? H-how could I? H-he won't ever love me back, e-especially not after what I did to him."

I knew who that voice belonged to, and to say I was shocked by hearing him sob was an understatement. I didn't even know he was able to show emotions... However, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Should I say something? Should I leave, or just step into an empty stall and cry myself? With creased eyebrows,I thought deeply about what was the best thing to do.

"W-who's there?" Zayn sobbed.

I took a deep breath. "It's me, Louis."

The stall to my right opened, and my eyes went wide at the sight in front of me. Zayn was sitting on the toilet seat, his knees pressed against his chest, and his eyes bloodshot from crying.

"Hi," he whispered against his knee.

He looked so innocent that I wanted to laugh, but I knew this wasn't the right moment do so, so I decided against it. Though, I'd never seen him like this before. "Hi," I mumbled.

"God, I'm so sorry, Louis. I can't even explain how sorry I am. All these years... I've been so mean to you! I can't believe I almost killed you all those times. If Harry wouldn't have stopped me, I don't know how bad it could've gone." He shook his head, tears running down his cheeks.

I walked over to him, rubbing his back reassuringly. Don't ask me why, I didn't even know myself why I did it. "I just don't know why you did it. Harry..." I grimaced at the name. "...told me that you did it because you wanted to get closer to me and that you were scared, but something tells me that's not all."

He looked up at me, and nodded. "You're right. I guess I was jealous. Every day, I saw how you checked Harry out. I knew you were in love with him, and that fact made me so angry. I wanted you to be in love with me, not one of my best friends," he said desperately.

I kept rubbing his back. "I'm sorry, Zayn," I mumbled.

He shook his head, smiling. "You shouldn't be. You've done nothing wrong. I'll admit it, Harry is one fit lad, but you... you're just perfect."

I shook my head, blushing. "I'm far from perfect, Zayn. I'm an outcast and can't even touch a football without falling over."

He chuckled. "Everyone can't be good at football."

"But I'm still an outcast. I can't believe how you popular people even know who I am," I muttered.

Zayn grabbed the hand I was rubbing his back with and started playing with my fingers. "And I can't believe how you can think so low about yourself," he frowned.

"I-I..." I didn't know how to reply to that, I'd always thought low about myself.

He looked up to meet my gaze. "Please, Lou, just remember that you're beautiful, no matter what anyone says, okay?"

My cheeks went - if possible - even redder as I nodded. I couldn't believe Zayn was actually saying this to me. Zayn out of all people! He was supposed to bully me and call me things like 'you're an ugly fag', not 'you're so beautiful and you should know it'!

There was a short silent that lasted for about five seconds before he spoke up again, "Like I said before, I know you're in love with Harry, but is there a possibility that you... maybe could like me too?" he mumbled, rubbing his thumb along the back of my hand.