2

Still using Sims to illustrate his 'lovely' apartment

I closed my folder, listening as my neighbor climaxed while panting my name.

Well, this was new one.

Alright, options; One, she happened to have a second lover whose name also happened to be Russell. Chances? Bleak. First off, I didn't believe in coincidences, and second of all, I couldn't hear any male company.

Two; ... there was none. My neighbor was masturbating to the memory of meeting me.

... I literally had no idea how to react.

Her soft moans finally dialed down as her orgasm subsided, leaving me with complete silence. My conclusion was that she had gone to sleep.

Opening my folder again, I tried to zone back into work-mode, but my brain wouldn't let me. There was a big possibility that Amy, my neighbor, was one kinky woman.

The only question left in my head then was... did she know I could hear her?

~~~

I plugged in my coffee-maker, just as my cellphone rang. I answered. "This better be about the case."

"It is, Mr Crane. How far are you?"

Letting out a breath, I rubbed my face. "I didn't get much work done last night."

"Mr Crane, you know we rely on you to be fast and efficient. Your social events or other activities will have to be set aside when a murderer is on the loose, so from now on—"

"Ms Dee, with all do respect, I put my every minute and second into my job and you know that. When I say I didn't get much work done last night, it's not because I was being lazy or had company, but if you're unhappy with my performance, go ahead and fire me. Let's see how fast your newbies will solve this one."

When I heard nothing in the other end, I knew I had won. Ms Erika Dee was my 'boss' or employer, if you would. I didn't have a signed contract with the Miami police and didn't plan on getting one, but whenever they were stumped on a mystery case, they came to me. We both knew that if she fired me right now, the murder case she had given me would take weeks to get solved.

"Fine," She finally snapped. "But you're on thin ice, Crane."

"That's where I like to be."

She huffed in annoyance through the phone. "I expect to see you here at the station in forty-five minutes. Are we clear?"

I smirked, getting my one mug out of my moving box. "As ice."

~~~

I frustratedly ran my hands through my hair for what seemed like the millionth time. Incompetent fools could make you go bald like this.

"I'm going to explain it one last time," I growled, glaring at Ms Dee and the client. "Your husband faked the robbery, had the deeds to your summer house stolen on purpose, then sold it to an investor, only to buy it back after the divorce, so when the papers finally got signed, you wouldn't get it. Your husband cheated on you and he therefore knew the court would favor you. He'd wind up broke and divorced, but at least this way, he'd have his summer house." I said for what also seemed like the millionth time. "Hats off to your husband for being clever. Everything you'll need to sue him is in this folder," I said, pointing to a manila folder on the conference table where we were sitting. "The evidence, the money wires, even pictures of him enjoying himself in Costa Rica with a Brazilian woman. Knock yourself out."