Chapter 4

Compared to the darkness inside the ivory structure, the night outside was like a blazing fire. For a few minutes, Anyu sat on the hard ground, not moving. Eventually, her eyes adjusted to the darkness and she was able to walk forward without fear of tripping or running into a wall. She rifled through the pack slung across Shesh's shoulders, taking out the rations that were left. As soon as she opened the bag containing Shesh's feed he eagerly began to stuff his face. Anyu ate her own food with less enjoyment. It took her teeth a considerable amount of effort to tear and chew each bite of dried meat. But still, it was better than nothing. Which was what they would soon have if they didn't find food any time soon.

At least it was somewhat warm inside this place. Sheltered from the winds and snow, the temperature was still cold but tolerable. Anyu delicately pulled her fur gloves off of her hands to examine her fingers. They were a raw, pinkish red, but luckily there was no sign of purple. She began to slowly massage each finger, ignoring the pain and discomfort. She knew that it would help the blood to flow back into her fingers and allow her to get feeling back in them sooner.

Shesh had finished his food and settled on the ground, ready to sleep. Anyu was tempted to join him, but she felt too restless. It didn't feel safe to sleep until she was certain that there was nothing dangerous in here. She stood up and began to walk forward, rubbing her fingers as she went.

From the outside, the structure had appeared extremely large, but now, actually standing inside, it seemed even bigger. Even though she could not see well, Anyu could feel it in the way her breath evaporated in the air, in the sound of her footsteps reverberating across open space. It was the same feeling she had when she stood in front of the ocean. The feeling of being in the presence of something so vast that it made you feel like a speck drifting in the wind in comparison.

She walked on. Every minute she thought to herself that she must soon reach the edge of the structure. Still, the blank space stretched out before her. Anyu frowned to herself. Certainly it wasn't possible for it to be this large?

There was a small noise a little ways ahead. Anyu slowed her steps. What if there was something dangerous here? She hadn't thought to bring her spear with her. Her dagger was strapped to her belt at her side, but she knew that she would hardly be able to wield it with her numb hands.

The noise sounded again. It was a light tinkling sound, not unpleasant. Like the glass shards of a wind chime hitting against each other in a breeze.

Anyu continued forward. It may have been reckless, but at this point she was too tired and cold to care. She would most likely die out in the cold tomorrow. She might as well find out the secrets of this place before then.

After a little while more of walking, Anyu slowed to a halt. It was still pitch black, but her eyes could make out the shape of something just ahead of her. Now that she was right in front of the source of the noise, it sounded harsher somehow. Less like ringing bells and more like the clang of a hammer, the clash of swords... or the rustle of chains.

Before Anyu could turn around, a voice spoke out through the darkness.

"Who's there?"