Chapter 11

Hi! Thanks again for reading this story! I hope you like this chapter. I'd love to hear any comments, predictions, or thoughts whatsoever. Enjoy!

XXX

Anyu had been on her fair share of polar bear hunts. Though powerful and ferocious, they were solitary creatures, and it wasn't difficult to kill one once you got it cornered. Anyu remembered the last time she had encountered a polar bear, only a few weeks ago. 

Her hunting party had spent two days tracking the beast across the tundra. When they'd finally tracked it down, Anik, Anyu's younger brother, had been chosen to lure it out. The role of bait was always given to the newest hunter, partly as a test of courage, and partly because they were smaller. Anik had had to lie flat on his stomach, inching into the bear's line of sight, until the bear noticed and zeroed in on its target. While the bear stalked Anik, thinking him a seal, the rest of the hunters had positioned themselves around the bear, ready to ambush. From there it had only been a matter of charging and killing the cornered animal. Anik had almost died of fright, but no one had been hurt.

Anyu knew in an instant that lying flat on her belly would not fool this creature. Its eyes, while bloodthirsty and crazed, were intelligent. And Anyu was all alone.

Nanuk's massive paw slammed down, cracking the thick layer of ice covering the frozen ground. His own blood glistened on his white fur as he approached. He was five times her size. He was incredibly strong. And, as far as Anyu could tell, he was invulnerable. She wasn't liking her chances very much. She stood frozen in place, unable to turn and run. What would be the point? At least if she stood her ground she could see her death as it came for her. At least this way she could die on her feet like a warrior should, not fleeing like a pitiful coward.

Nanuk lumbered toward her casually. He also saw the situation for what it was, saw what an easy kill she would be. He was in no hurry. Still, in only a few giant strides he was standing right in front of her, raising his paw to tear her apart.

There was a blur off brown fur and Nanuk was sent tumbling away. Something had knocked him down. It took Anyu's mind, too surprised at still being alive, a moment to register that Nanuk was suddenly locked in a struggle with Shesh, the two animals wrestling each other fiercely in the snow.

A sudden, righteous anger replaced Anyu's fear. Losing her own life, she was prepared for. But if Shesh's life was at risk, it was another matter altogether. Forgetting her weakness, forgetting that she didn't have any weapons on her, she made a desperate charge towards the fight. Nanuk had been taken by surprise by Shesh's interference, but as he gathered his senses he began to lash out in rage. The outcome was already as clear as a melting glacier; Shesh couldn't win this fight.

Anyu sprinted, the wind whistling in her ears and stinging her eyes. She let out a yell of frustration as she put on a burst of speed, willing her feet to reach them in time. And do what? She thought to herself. I can't save Shesh. I can only get myself killed along with him. Yet every instinct screamed at her to run forward, to fight, to kill, to win.

The night was punctured by a crisp snapping sound and a bellow of pain. Anyu launched herself at Nanuk's undefended back, feeling like a vicious beast herself, ready to claw and maul without mercy. Except she was still a weak, completely vulnerable human, and it was all she could do to hang on to Nanuk's coat as he rampaged and thrashed around to try and fling her off. He ran and jumped violently. Anyu clung to his fur with all her might. At least he wasn't attacking Shesh anymore. Anyu detachedly wondered why he was even bothering to try and buck her off. Soon he would realize that all he had to do was fall onto his back, and that would be the end of Anyu. But Nanuk continued to thrash about wildly, and Anyu continued to hold on for dear life.

After a few more moments, Anyu began to feel anxious. There was no way that she would still be able to cling to the bear's back if his intention had been to get her off. And Nanuk's movements were too frantic, too wild to be an attempt to throw her. What was happening? As her mind worked furiously to try and read the situation, her hands began to slip from Nanuk's fur. Her frozen fingers desperately scrabbled for a better grip, but they didn't grasp anything. It was hard to tell in the darkness, but Anyu could have sworn that where she touched it, Nanuk's pure white hair had turned a pitch black. A sickly smell suddenly reached Anyu's nose, giving her the urge to bring up what little food she had in her stomach. Her knuckles burned from the exertion, and she finally couldn't hold on any longer. 

All at once, Anyu let go. Her head slammed against the icy ground, blurring her vision and her thoughts. She saw Nanuk's hulking mass continue to go berserk, and another shape lying on the ground not far from her, not moving. Then Anyu let herself sink into the waiting darkness.