Chapter 8

Cameron muttered a low curse as soon as she entered the bathroom. What was she thinking, ogling Nate like that?, she thought angrily to herself. She knew sending away that guy the previous night, would be a huge mistake. Now, this was the outcome: Behaving like a sex-craved teenager.

Cameron sighed. She couldn't allow something like that to happen again, and while she may admit, Nate was a fine man, she couldn't allow him to think she had found him interesting.

She would have to play cool. Expelling a ragged breath, she stepped beneath the warm spray of water.

***

Nate was seated on the bed, scrolling through his phone, when he saw Cameron emerging from the bathroom. She looked so beautiful in the small yellow dress that she wore, almost the same color as her long hair, which fell in long curly waves down her shoulders. Her small lips were kissed with a peach pink lipstick, which only made her lips just as sweet and succulent as the fruit. That was the only trace of makeup she wore, because she was already made up with beauty. Her sweet scent wafted across Nate's nose, reminding him of the sweet smell of flowers that permeated the air in spring.

"You look lovely", he complimented casually.

"Yeah, thanks", Cameron said, clearing her throat.

There was a small and awkward silence, in which they both spent staring at each other.

"Well, let's go", Cameron blurted, breaking the silence that once hung like a cloud over their heads.

"Uh-yeah...sure", Nate stuttered, as he rose from the bed, and walked behind Cameron.

***

As they both descended the stairs, everyone's eyes trailed away from what they had been doing and focused on them.

"Here comes the bride and groom!", Marjorie exclaimed, as she forced her way around the persons who were in front of her.

When she came up towards them, Nate bought his head down, and whispered. "Mom, do you realize this is a family reunion and not an engagement party?".

Marj pouted and fanned at him dismissively.
"Come, your father and sister are in the kitchen".

Nate smiled broadly, as he grabbed Cameron by the hand and led her to the kitchen.

"Nate my boy!", Edward chuckled when he saw his son.

Nate went forward and embraced his father, patting him on the back. "Hey dad", he greeted, as his gaze went to Katelyn, who was leaning against the counter, her arms folded, and eyes scrutinizing.

"Dad, this is my fiancée Cameron", he informed, as he pulled Cameron closer to him, his hands encircling her tiny waist.

Edward nodded in approval, a proud smile gracing his face. "Beautiful ", was all he said before pulling Cameron in for a welcoming hug.

"Welcome to the family", he whispered.
Cameron smiled. "Thank you".

Katelyn suddenly stepped forward, giving Cameron a thorough once-over.
She smiled stiffly. "I'm his sister", she said crisply, hands outstretched for a handshake.

Cameron cocked a brow, and shook her hands. "Nice meeting you", she stated, with a smile like the devil's.

"Hmmm", was Katelyn's only reply, as she continued to scrutinize Cameron.

There was a smile silence, as Cameron and Katelyn stood throwing daggers at each other with their gazes.

Edward cleared his throat. "Cameron darling, come on. I'll introduce you to some of the family members", he said as he held Cameron by the elbow, escorting her out of the room, before she had the chance to protest.

As soon as they were out of sight, Nate directed an icy gaze to Katelyn.

"What's your problem?", he exclaimed a bit harshly.

"What problem bro?", Katelyn asked blankly, her brown eyes challenging.

"Couldn't you be a bit friendlier?", Nate hissed, his gaze firm.

Katelyn stepped forward. "I know this is all fake. I know she isn't really your fiancée, and I'm going to prove it!", she whispered harshly, her index finger in Nate's face.

Nate ground his teeth angrily. "There's nothing to prove", he whispered between clenched teeth.

Katelyn raised a challenging brow. "We'll see", she retorted as she strolled from the kitchen.

Nate ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He knew his sister, and he knew once her mind was set on something, she wouldn't stop until she was proven right.

***

Everyone was now, outback and at the poolside. Kids were playing around, in their own little world, and adults, chattering.

"Are you OK?", Nate asked Cameron when he noticed the blank look on her face.

"I'm bored", she confessed with a sigh, taking a gulp of the fruity juice she had been offered by Marjorie.

"The first day is always boring", Nate told her honestly.

"Hey bro. I want you to meet my boyfriend", Katelyn said, moving towards Nate and Cameron.

Nate raised a brow, surprised. Well, this was a change from the sister who was threatening him just minutes ago, he thought.

"Where is he?", Nate asked.

Katelyn peeked around a corner, and grinned.

"Come on honey!", she called, her voice ringing with excitement.

A man with spiky blonde hair stepped around the corner, sporting jeans which snugly fitted his thick legs, and a black T-shirt that hugged his broad chest. His eyes were dark as night and just as intimidating.

Cameron suddenly choked on her juice, as her gaze locked with the man's.

His thin lips slowly stretched into a smile, when his eyes landed on Cameron.

____________________________________

Hey guys, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! If you did: Vote and give me some feedback!

Have a great day, and thanks so much for reading. You guys are the best!!!

Laters baby!
-juju