Chapter 20

Two months had passed since the whole altercation at the bar. Cameron had gotten a job as a secretary at a local law firm, and although it wasn't her ideal job, it paid the bills and bought food.

That evening as Cameron left her workplace, she took a taxi to meet her psychologist. Even though she was low on funds, she wanted to talk to someone, and considering the fact that she didn't have any friends. She thought it to be a good thing. In the last month of seeing the counselor, she was already feeling good about herself.

She ran when she glared at the clock and realized it was 4:35. She was five minutes late for her session. Cameron hurriedly entered the building, panting when she arrived at the secretary's desk.

"I have an appointment -", she began but the woman cut her off, smiling.

"Miss Crawford. Mrs. Tomlinson has been expecting you. Go right ahead", she smiled, gesturing towards the door.

Cameron nodded and went through the door after releasing a heavy sigh.

****

"Cameron!", the middle-aged woman greeted cheerfully. "I'm so glad that you made it", she exclaimed genuinely.

Cameron smiled, taking a seat. "Yeah, sorry for being late", she apologized and the woman nodded.

"How are you today?", she asked.

"I'm good", she breathe out.

"It has been a while since I asked you about Nate. Do you still think about him?".

Cameron stiffened at the mention of his name. She had tried really hard to forget him, but the lonely nights, laying alone in her bed, had only made her think of him more. She accepted the fact that he was to be a permanent memory in her mind and soul.

"Yes", she confessed softly, fidgeting with her fingers.

"There's not a problem with loving someone Cameron. Love is a beautiful thing, you shouldn't be afraid of it", Dr. Tomlinson advised.

Cameron sighed. "Love isn't for me", she thought inwardly, but her lips parted and the words came out.

"What makes you think so?", the Doctor insisted.

"Forget I said anything", Cameron murmured. She really hadn't meant for the words to come out and now that they did, she wasn't quite sure how to get her way around it, seeing that the Doctor was so persistent.

"Remember, you can discuss anything with me. I'm here to help", she assured and Cameron knew she could, but telling people about this particular phase in her life, didn't always sit well with her. She decided to speak nevertheless.

"My mom always told me that, there was no such thing as love between a man and a woman. She said that people mistake it for lust", Cameron paused before continuing. "You know, she would always bring her countless boyfriends to the house, and made me watch as they had sex. She said that 'f*cking' was the closest you'd ever get to love. At one point I believed that...in fact, I stopped believing it not too long ago".

"My mom was never the caring type. She reminded me every day that I was only a mistake to her. She said she got so caught up in the fun, that she didn't remember the condom", Cameron snorted at that, her eyes glued to the blank floor.

"In school I met a guy named Danny, and I really thought that my mom had been wrong at the time. He said he loved me, and I thought I did too. He used 'love' to manipulate me into doing all sorts of evil. I was so naïve at the time and desperate for that unknown emotion.", a tear slipped from her eyes, she quickly brushed it away, but she allowed the others to fall when it was too much to contain.

"I later found out that I was being used, and so I once again went back to what my mother had thought me", she completed brokenly.

"Until you found Nate", the Doctor provided and Cameron was silent for a moment.

"He broke my heart too", she sniffed. "But I understand how he felt", she confessed lightly.

"Do you love him?", she pressed and Cameron nodded faintly.

"You need to go and tell him that Cameron. You need to find happiness for yourself".

Cameron was silent as she pondered upon Dr Tomlinson's words. She was never going to tell Nate that she loved him... If he didn't do it first.

****

"...I graduated from Oxford University two years ago, after completing my studies. I'm thinking of starting my own business as soon as I am financially set. I have some savings in the bank, but I'll need more, but I really think I'll be able to do it by year-end. I'm a very persistent person and I am motivated by myself. This may sound cliché, but I long for the house with the white picket fences and the big backyard for the kids...".

Nathaniel thought he'd go crazy as he listened to the woman who spoke incessantly before him. He had really thought that engaging himself into another relationship would take his mind off Cameron, but he was sorely wrong.

Listening to this woman now, Nate compared every physical aspect of the woman to Cameron. He missed the golden blonde hair that cascading like a waterfall of sunshine down her back. He missed how little of a talker she was, and yet he understood the little tidbits of her life.

Nate knew he had been wrong to judge her based on her past, and by the looks of it, she didn't have a good one. After having his PI dig up information on her, he had found that she was the daughter of a drunk prostitute, who was still servicing to the needs of men in her now old age. Nate knew that Cameron's present situation resulted from the ugly past she faced.

When the information was provided to him, days ago, he wanted so badly to run to her and apologize, but he was fearful that she might be in a relationship and had long forgotten him. He often wondered how she was doing. How she was holding up. If she had found a job etc.

He wanted to see her. It was pure and simple, and Nate immediately got up from his chair.

"... Yes so, I like children. I want maybe four or five. Two girls and boys. My parents had nine of us...".

Nate looked at the woman in disbelief, finding it hard to believe that the woman was still chatting, even though he had not said a word.

He cleared his throat. "Excuse, I've gotta go. I'm sorry to end our lunch so abruptly, but something has come up that needs my presence", he explained and the woman gawked at him in disbelief.

Nate ignored her as he dashed from the restaurant, in search of his Cameron.

___________________________________
Yaaay!!!. I hope you guys enjoyed!! Only one chapter left for this story to end :(. And it won't be far away!!!
Thanks for reading
Until next time...
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju