1: To Keep Her Safe

A/N: Hey everyone! I've decided to write a series of one-shots about the characters in "Storm and Silence" by the extraordinarily talented Rob Thier. Hopefully you all enjoy it! Be sure to vote or comment if you do ;) Constructive criticism is most welcome!

Song is "Dark Waltz" by the incredible Jackie Evancho, when she was around 12 years old. This was performed live on the American TV show "Dancing With the Stars". Her voice is literally perfect; go check out her songs! :D
__________________________

The ballroom was too hot.

Rikkard Ambrose picked at the starch black collar of his waistcoat, eyes scanning the room.

He sat alone, happy to be out of the preying gazes of the stuffy nobles. He neither knew nor recognized a single soul other than Lilly, save for the few she had pointed out to him. She had insisted on accompanying him here tonight once she had found out that he was here for business. She still didn't know exactly what he planned to do, but he knew she prided herself on being a part of his affairs.

Dalgliesh was here somewhere. He wondered if the bastard was planning something, if he was waiting patiently to make his move. Rikkard's mouth tightened into a thin line as he recalled the mocking letter sent to his office that morning. He'll pay for that, he promised himself.

Rikkard's eyes narrowed, studying the many dancers. Dalgliesh was cunning. How many of the guests here were actually in league with him? How many were sucking up to the scoundrel, just to survive? He shook his head. He couldn't blame some people for living in fear. But he was certainly up for giving justice where it was due.

Rikkard stood abruptly, suddenly feeling too complacent with his post in the chair, and weaved his way towards the refreshment table. He glared at the pristine, shiny figure of the glass he chose before once again standing in the corner where he could remain unseen.

Scowling, he took a tiny sip, and was relieved when it slid easily down his throat. The nobles, at least, were able to choose good alcohol, even if the ball left a little to be desired. He turned his attention back to the room.

A jaunty, fast-paced tune flew across the ballroom, and the couples gathered together in a huge circle. Rikkard knew the song well. It was one of his father's favorite dances. His little finger twitched unceremoniously as forbidden memories rose to the forefront of his mind, and he cursed himself. Now was not the time to focus on the past. He searched quickly for something to take his mind off the uncalled for flashback when he caught sight of a pale green gown.

Rikkard saw the girl standing on the opposite side of the room, a fake smile plastered on her face as she took the arm of another gentleman. Her cheeks were flushed from the previous song and a few stray tendrils had escaped the pins in her hair. He latched onto the vision eagerly, draining his mind, focusing on the only thing that mattered anymore.

Lilly.

Rikkard followed her around the room with his eyes, absently noting the precise moves she made with her feet and the way she carried herself across the floor. She swayed accordingly and clapped in time with the music perfectly, but he knew it was just for show. She was a good dancer. He knew that, of course; he had danced with her once, ages ago. But Lilly hated it. She had always disliked dancing and he knew she thought herself an incompetent partner compared to the other ladies.

Rikkard disagreed. She didn't need to be a good dancer to be a good partner.

Looking at her now suddenly made him ache to twirl her around the room on his own, all over again. He remembered their dance like it was yesterday. She had been feather light in his arms, small and soft and a stark change from the fiery ifrit he knew on a daily basis. Lilly cleaned up well, he had to admit. She had always seemed pretty, even behind the baggy men's clothing of her disguise, and now it became much more apparent that she was, in fact, stunning.