Chapter 9

Katniss

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask Peeta as I finish pinning my hair up.

"Of course, Baby," he says. "If you want to start a singing career, an open mic night could be a perfect opportunity for you." I smile after touching up my red lipstick and turn in the mirror. My red dress is form fitting, but I really like it. It stops at the toe of my red faux ruby stilettos and has a slit in the left side clear up to my hip. My smoky eyes seem to glitter and the fake blush on my cheek emphasizes my cheek bones. I take a deep breath and open the door, walking out into Peeta's apartment. He just stares at me.

"That bad huh?" I say and he shakes his head.

"No,you're gorgeous, not that you aren't always gorgeous," he says. "There's just something missing. Actually two things." I give him a look and he reaches into his pocket.

"What?" I ask him and reaches out and places my Mockingjay pin in my hand. I smile at it and pin it to the strap of my dress. Then I look up to see him holding out a small velvet box. "Oh Peeta, I don't think this is really the best to-" I start but he cuts me off by laughing.

"No, no, it's not a ring," he says. "As much as I would love to give you one, it's not the right time for that yet." He opens the box and pulls out a small heart shaped locket. The engraving on it catches the light, and I smile.

"'To thine own self be true,'" I say.

"Yeah," he says. "Because I want you to remember that you are gonna get past everything and come out being the amazing woman I know you can be." I smile and feel myself blush.

"Can you put it on me?" I ask and he nods. I turn around and hold my hair while he clips the delicate golden chain around my neck. I lightly touch it and sigh. "Just like the song huh?"

"Like I said, I want it to remind you of who you are and what you've overcome," he says. "You picked the name Fancy for a reason. Because of what that song means."

"Yeah," I say. "You figured that out huh?"

"It wasn't too hard," he says. "You get a lot of things from music."

"Sorry I'm so predictable," I say and he shakes his head.

"Trust me Kat," he says. "You're anything but predictable." I look at the clock.

"Come on," I say. "If I'm gonna do this, we better not be late." He nods and gently takes my hand. We decide to walk since the karaoke bar is only a few blocks away and when we walk in, I get some looks. Looks as though they know me. Peeta and I sit down and a guy maybe a little older than us walks up. He gives me a look and Peeta finally speaks.

"Can we help you with something?" He asks.

"I was wondering if I knew your lady friend here," he says. "I saw you two walk in and I must say, you look very familiar, miss."

"Do I?" I ask, feeling like he too, is someone I know.

"Yes," he says before snapping his fingers. "You work at the Tracker Jacker. Fancy right?" I just stare at him and I feel Peeta gently squeeze my hand.

"So what if I am?" I ask. "That doesn't matter outside those walls. Here I'm just a person trying to live my life just like you."

"Oh of course," he says. "I was just hoping to talk to you about a modeling contract. After all, you are quite good at your job, as I'm sure you know."