I believe

Killian

I signed my name to the check I'd just written to pay for the court costs for the disorderly conduct case I'd just pleaded guilty to. No reason to deny it – I'd pissed in an alley, which was apparently considered disorderly conduct in Pensacola. I was just glad I was able to pay the fine without having to appear in court in person.

This ticket wasn't a big deal – just the most expensive piss ever. But the one for the fight I'd gotten into with Brotz could turn into a headache. I was hoping to plead guilty, pay the fine and move on with no intervention from the league. But a public brawl between two players that the cops had to deal with was enough to get us both into trouble.

I didn't want Sidney to see me as an immature asshole with impulse control issues. I'd been that guy for long enough, and it was time to grow up, more for myself than anyone else.

I turned to sorting out my clean laundry that was piled up on the couch.  As I was folding t-shirts my front door opened.

"Hey," Liam said, walking in. "Let's play Call of Duty."

"I'll beat your ass, like I do every time."

"Whatever, bitch," he muttered. "Let's just play."

We got things set up and it was a while before either of us spoke.

"What was with you and Brotz the other night?" Liam asked.

"He's a douchebag. That's about it."

"He was talking about Sidney, wasn't he?"

"Yeah. And you know I don't listen to trash talk about anyone on the team."

He made a skeptical 'hmm' sound.

"You got something to say?"

"She's not on the team," he said, shrugging.

"Yeah, well neither's Orion and neither's Bruce, but I won't let anyone talk shit about them, either. They're all on the team as far as I'm concerned."

"I think you like her."

"So what if I do?"

"Doesn't matter to me."

"Yeah, I like her. Alright?"

Liam nodded. "Cool. Just be careful, man."

I wanted to be defensive, but I forced myself to stay quiet. Liam was trying to be a good friend. I was taken with Sidney but I knew he was right – I did need to be careful.

Sidney

As soon as I walked into the locker room behind Orion, the sounds of male banter and laughter quieted. This was the first home game since Orion and I had cleaned up the team roster, and I wanted to show the guys I was more than a faraway face in the owners' box.

"Boys," Orion called. "Ms. Stahl's here to say a few words before game time. Listen up."

I was here to encourage the team, but Killian's presence among the others was like a flame, and I was the moth. All eyes were on me right now, but only one set of eyes mattered.

Clearing my throat, I steeled myself. I'd spoken to corporate boards of directors without even breaking a sweat. I was Sidney Stahl. Sidney Ice Queen Stahl, actually. I didn't get intimidated.

"There's been a lot of change on this team recently," I said, looking around at the players' faces. I deliberately didn't make eye contact with Killian, because I had to hold on to my focus. "You're here right now because Coach Caldwell believes in you. I believe in you. I want this to be a team we're all proud of. And right now, win or lose, I'm proud of you. I've seen the work you've all been putting in, and it means a lot. It means everything. The great Vince Lombardi said that winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is. That's all I ask of you. Want it. Know you've earned it."