Chapter 21: Charlie

A/N :

My god I'm so sorry it's been too long and I only just got my laptop back yesterday from getting fixed this whole time. Ugh I'm sorry. It's been too long since the last update so I'll shush now and continue with the story.

''...And this is because it's getting cold. You know how you are in the summer let alone in the winter...maybe I should have brought more..''

Aunt Petricia's frazzled blonde bun bobbed along with her head as she sorted through the mountains of clothes and blankets she had somehow managed to stuff into a single suitcase and duffle bag.

''It's fine. Trust me, look at this mountain of furs I have to engulf me every night.'' I gestured to the bed I had not long ago slept with Tatum, my face surely turning a peachy pink in remembrance.

''He also has a wolf sleeping with him now, not a mouse.'' Pointing out my bed situation had my face turning a deep red before surprise shook me. ''Now that I mention it, I haven't seen him in a while.''

''You knew about Charlie!?'' He nodded. ''Yet, I still had to make an effort to hide him!?'' I threw my half-eaten blueberry muffin aunt Petricia packed me at his big fat head.

The room fell silent as the muffin crumbled into thousands of crumbs and blueberry stains on his face. Aunt Petricia and I just stared at Uncle Rick until his eyes set like lasers on my face and his hands turned over to let the last of the crumbs settle to the floor.

''You didn't.'' he bit out.

''I did.'' I raised an eyebrow in challenge, an invitation for him to show me his worst.

He lunged at me faster than Charlie to a block of cheese and sent us flying into the many furs I sat on the edge of, his fingers attacking my ribs before going under my chin and to my neck; a low blow in the tickling world.

There was barely a second before an atrocious snort left me which was immediately followed by the sounds of a dying sea lion screaming for help as I created a thousand chins trying to squash his hand to death.

''Ple- plea- please... I can't....I'm going to... to pee myself.... Uncle!''

''Not until you admit that I'm the best and most favourite uncle in the whole wide world.'' His assault didn't stop for a second as he wriggled his fingers beneath my neck, more disgusting noises like an elephant snorting and calling for help coming from me.

''But you're....you're my only uncle!'' I screamed out, my legs squeezing tight in fear that I might actually pee myself.

''True.'' He stopped his assault, giving me a moment's rest as he got out of the bed and walked towards the door where aunt Petricia stood shaking her head at our antics. ''Your bed smells of breeding anyway.''

He high tailed it out of the room quicker than my face had a chance to go thermonuclear, my aunt closing her eyes for a second to try and scrub her brain of the thoughts, my mind trying not to self-destruct at my uncle and aunt knowing about my private affairs. Not that a wolf could hide it when they mated.

My hand fell over my left shoulder, a small smile tracing my lips until it fell when I remembered my mates face and how his eyes shone but now only one did. I knew what had happened. It wasn't so hard to tell.

''Aunt Petricia.''

''Yeah, honey.'' Her eyes opened as she took a seat at the table in Tatum's room, me taking the other seat.

''Can wolves go blind?''

Her eyebrows scrunched up at me, searching my face for any sign of blindness, but she wouldn't find it.

''Well I guess so. If it was a small injury, time would probably heal it.'' My heart lightened a fraction at that. '' But some injuries you just can't heal. Sometimes we have to live with our injuries. We heal quick, yes but we're not indestructible. Why do you ask?'' My heart sank again.

I could feel guilt scratching its nasty claws at me again, the dark hole in my heart growing wider and wider at the thought that my inexperience at hunting could cost my Tatum his eyesight forever.

''I think Tatum is blind in his left eye.'' My voice was small and broken, guilt seeking its way into every word, a small gasp escaping my aunt.

''How can this be? Did something bad happen? Will he no longer be fit to be Alpha?''

I couldn't even feel the tear fall down my cheek until many more gushed to join it, sending Aunt Petricia into a flurry of panic fluttering around me.

''I damaged not only his eye but his chances of being Alpha?''

''I'm sure it's not your fault. He'll definitely become Alpha! I'm sure of it.''

''But you just said-''

''Never mind that. Tatum is a big, strong, capable man and wolf he'll surely become Alpha. No blindness would stop him from becoming the leader of this pack so dry your eyes honey buns and let's go find your man.'' She pulled out a handkerchief from the suitcase discarded on the floor and handed it to me.

''What else did you pack in there?'' I wiped my eyes and nose trying to calm myself down.

''Everything my little toosh could squash in there without breaking the zipper.'' She smiled triumphantly and I didn't doubt for a second that she didn't have to sit on it to force it closed.

''There's that beautiful smile.'' Her face softened but not before a howl sounded outside the den.

The both of us stood from our seats and curiously followed the noise to the entrance of the cave just in time to see Dustin trudging in grumbling to himself about who knows what followed by Tatum and a small young man maybe a few inches taller than me with eyes as dark as night, his skin not as pale as mine but not exactly tanned either and his hair a familiar grey mess.

''Jaidan.'' The young man sprinted for me, my eyes bulging large as he enveloped me in a hug before inspecting my face, a growl sounding in the background before heavy boots stomped their way up to us.

''Why are your eyes red? Have you been crying? Those fuckers.'' He hissed, an actual hiss like a cat as his eerie eyes turned like daggers to Tatum who was scowling at the stranger in front of me.

''Who are you?'' I asked as Tatum dragged me out of the man's arms and into the safety of his.

There was a flash of hurt passing through the stranger's face, then understanding not long before a soft warming smile.

''Charlie, that is what you called me.''

A/N

Don't be too harsh on my rusty writing skills please! :)