Chapter One

The cold hard floor woke me up. As I struggled to get into a sitting position, I discovered that my hands and legs were chained in big chains. I pressed a hand to my temple to ease the throbbing headache. There was a burning sensation on my neck. As I tried to recall the past events, I realized that I'd been bitten by a vampire. The man in the garden. What does he want from me? Wrapping my arms around my knees, I felt a sob building up in my throat. Homesickness and fear washed over me at the presence of an unfamiliar place. While I was figuring ways of escape, the door swung open forcefully and a beautiful lady sailed into the room.

Her eyes were focused on me as she crossed the room with graceful steps. Her every movements were perfect and flawless. She smiled and crouched down. "What a beautiful young girl! Just perfect for the prince but...it's not good keeping her in chains." She whispered. Tilting her head to her left a little, she called out in a firm and commanding tone. "Guards!!!"

Footsteps approached and two guards appeared at the entrance with worried looks. They felt slightly uncomfortable in her presence. She glanced at them with a piercing gaze. "Free this girl!"

The two guards hesitated. "General Finn said that we're not to open that girl's chains until he comes." Their voices were meek and soft. I stared up at them too, wondering why they felt such fear.

The lady rolled her eyes in an elegant way and held up a hand. "The orders are not important. The most important thing is, this girl will have to be the prince's meal on the summer solstice so unchain her. Before that time comes, she'll have to be part of the castle; not waste time idling!" Her gaze flitted to me and I caught sight of a cold and hard look which I hadn't noticed when she entered, in those eyes.

The guards said nothing but went over to unlock my chains. Looks like this lady here is in a rather high position since the guards didn't dare defy her. I wonder what's all this about. Her words were unsettling. There were still echoing in my mind. The chains clinked opened and they fell to the ground with a clank. I rubbed my sore hands and pressed three fingers on my neck. The wound was rough and it's bound to look unpleasant. The lady saw my actions and frowned a little. Without further ado, she snatched my hand off the wound and gave a small cry. "Oh God! How can I present you to the prince on the summer solstice like this? It's going to scar without proper treatment!."

She took me by the arm gently and pulled me out of the cold dungeon. As she dragged me behind her, she muttered to herself. "I wonder who was the one who did this. It can't be him...He's not one to act this way."

I tried my best to keep up as my legs were already beginning to give way. When she noticed my discomfort, she slowed down a little.

"My name is Taylor Arlington. My brother is the one who caught you here. He's Finn, General of Knights." I bit my lip as I took in that bit of information. So, his name is Finn. Even though I resent him for bringing me here, I couldn't help but wonder how lovely his name sounds.

Taylor pulled me into a beautifully furnished room with two girls laughing over a picture book. They stood near a dresser with one of its drawers open. "Hey guys, take a look at this." They gasped when they caught sight of us. One of them hid the picture book guiltily behind her. The other one stared at us as we made our way towards them. Her eyes traveled from my eyes to the wound on my neck. Without further ado, she went over to us, grabbed my by the arm and pushed me towards the couch. "Sit down. I will treat your wounds."

I smiled weakly and thanked her. The girl standing near the dresser pushed the picture book into the drawer and took a box out instead. It's a beautiful one with intricate designs of butterflies and flowers. Come to think of it, I had one back at home too.

Taylor smiled and stood watching from the sidelines with her arms crossed. "Thanks for your help Anne, Rachel. There's no way we could let the prince meet her with a wound like that." Anne, the girl seated next to me, took some cotton and sprayed liquid on it that smelt like burnt socks. " Ew, it smells horrible."