Deal with the devil

When the rope was removed from me, I had never felt more relieved in my life. The scratchy thing was rubbing my wrists raw, therefore causing me pain. When the tape was removed, I carefully licked my dry, cracked lips only to inhale a deep breath afterwards.

“Better?” Harry asked, taking my hands in his as he assessed the damage he had caused.

I nodded, not speaking a word. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of hearing my voice after what he put me through. Harry looked disappointed because his eyes dropped. But I did have one burning question on my chest that I absolutely needed to ask. So I broke my protest against speaking.

“Who was that guy? In the alley? I believe his name was Niall? I think,” I instantly asked, voice sounding crackly and hoarse. It actually felt good to talk after having not spoken a word for a full twenty-four hours.

“Why should I tell you after that stunt you just pulled?” His voice rose a bit as he stood from his position on my bed.

I gulped, and didn’t reply. I figured it was useless to argue with him. It wouldn’t get me anywhere. Harry’s gaze softened when he noticed my fear, so he helped me from my bed, pulling me into a warm embrace. My hands fell limp at my sides as he stroked my back lightly.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. His breath tickled my neck and a chill shot up my spine. “You’ll find out, soon.”

I took that as a good enough answer and followed him upstairs. Freeing myself from his grip, I made a beeline for the bathroom. I felt as though my bladder was about to burst, and was majorly satisfied when I relieved myself. As I washed my hands, I glanced at myself in the mirror. I was still the same Veronica. Blonde haired and blue eyed Veronica.

I adjusted myself a little, fixing stray hairs, then headed for the door. As I opened it, my foot brushed something: a brown paper bag. Finding this odd, I asked Harry about it.

“Oh, that was a surprise I bought for you for being so good, but since you tried to escape, you’ll get it later. When I think you deserve it.” He crossed his arms over his chest, showing an irritated look.

I looked down in disappointment. But Harry’s expression crept into a mischievous smile.

“Or,” he began, stepping closer to be. “We could make a deal.”

I looked at him in confusion, eyes widening. What could this deal be? Endless possibilities played in my head, one right after the other. I wasn’t really one to have a dirty mind, but knowing Harry he’d probably…

“If you kiss me, I’ll let you have what’s in the bag,” he smiled, seeming pleased with himself.

Harry had pulled me closer now, his hands resting on my waist. I contemplated his deal. Should I? One kiss couldn’t hurt, right? But then I thought that the kiss could lead to something more heated. Something… other than kissing.

“Alright,” I exhaled, agreeing to his trade. “I’ll kiss you in exchange for the bag.”

Harry beamed at me as if he was surprised by my compromise. He stood there waiting patiently. That’s when I realized that I had to be the one to start this whole process. And I didn’t know what to do. Despite the one Harry gave me days earlier, I had absolutely no experience. So, I went with the flow.

Closing my eyes, I puckered my lips and leaned forward. Our lips touched slightly. Then, Harry latched on, putting one hand on the back of my neck. I was only going to give him a light peck because he didn’t specify the type of kiss, but I was immediately held in place by Harry’s hand, unable to move.

I positioned my hands on his chest, pushing away. Sadly, my plan didn’t work. He was too strong. Harry kissed me harder, his tongue grazing my top lip as if begging for an entrance. They stayed shut.

It felt like we kissed forever when he finally pulled away, breathing heavily. “That was amazing. Regardless of your no kissing experience, you’re an amazing kisser, Veronica.”

My face flushed with heat. “Why don’t you call me, Ronnie? Like my friends,” I asked. It was the first thing that popped in my mind.

He huffed, still smiling. “Because Ronnie is a man’s name, and you,” his eyes surveyed my body, “do not look like a man to me.”

I giggled and blushed again. Whoa, I couldn’t believe Harry was actually making me laugh. Laugh! I hadn’t laughed in forever.

He tapped my nose lightly, and it crinkled. “Now for your surprise.”

I watched as Harry snatched the bag from the ground and handed it to me with a victorious grin. He looked as if he had won the battle of Troy. Shaking my head, I peered into the crinkly bag and gasped when I saw what was inside. Demi Lovato’s new CD.

“Oh. My. God,” I said, almost breathless. “I freaking love Demi!” I almost screamed that last part because honestly, she was my role model. I felt as though the kiss was worth it. I even hugged Harry in spite of my slight hate for him. Although, I could feel myself drifting farther away from this feeling. I shouldn’t be thinking that. Not after what he did. I should hate him. Despise him. He was my kidnapper after all.

Harry’s chest vibrated when he laughed. “I know. I saw this advertised at the record shop downtown, and I just had to get it for you.”

He hugged me back, and I couldn’t help but smile. Soon after, I broke our embrace and ran to the CD player in the corner of the living room. It sat on a vintage table with perfectly polished wood.

With rapid movement, I slid in the disk, almost with force. My heart started to beat faster as I waited for the first song to start. I was itching with anticipation. Then, music played. Recognizing the first song as “Heart Attack,” I switched it to the second one.

I turned up the volume and began jamming out. I could already tell from the first lyric that I would love every song on the album.

Back in the kitchen, I heard Harry snort with laughter. Irritated, I faced him, glaring.

“What?” He asked, shrugging.

I ignored him and continued to jump around to the beat. Harry joined me by sitting on the couch. His eyes watched me the whole time. It was kinda… creepy. But I could care less right about now.

“It’s good to see you happy,” he spoke, giving me a loving look.

Soon, I started to feel super tired, so I turned the volume down to where it was like background music and joined Harry on the couch. I fell back on him, resting my head on his chest.

“Thank you,” I said, looking into his eyes.

“Anything for my girl.”

I wasn’t even bothered by his comment. Nor was I bothered by the kiss he planted on the top of my head. I just lay there, taking in the moment. Somehow, I felt no more hate towards Harry. I should, though. Immense hate. But it just wasn’t there.

But he was my kidnapper. And I needed to remember that.

--------------------------------

 bye !