Chapter Four

Emmeline held her squirming baby girl in her arms, thinking how her round head and the little tuft of dark hair looked just like Nicholas. He was beaming, thrilled that he got the little girl he wanted. She was perfect; ten fingers, ten toes, and a little button nose. Despite being two weeks early, she was only a little small, weighing just over five pounds. Nicholas reached down and picked up his daughter's hand. The baby instinctively wrapped her tiny fingers around his thumb. One look at him and Emmeline could tell he was completely in love. So was she. The feeling was overwhelming.

"So, what do you think?" asked Nicholas barely able to take his eyes off his baby girl cradled in her exhausted Mother's arms. The baby girl's big dark eyes rested unfocused on her mother's face, unaware of the firestorm that was trying to force their way into her perfect little world. The new Mom and Dad could hear the commotion rise outside their closed hospital room door, and couldn't quite ignore it anymore. Emmeline looked anxiously up at Nicholas.

"I guess we better get this over with." She picked up her daughter's other hand and asked, "Are you ready little one to meet your Grandma? Don't worry if you're not. I've lived with her for 17 years, and on still not ready for her!"

Nicholas opened the door, and for a moment the noise from the hall stopped.

"Would you all like to meet your new granddaughter?" Nicholas asked, his chest visibly puffed up. Within seconds the room was filled with two full set of anxious grandparents.

"Why on earth wouldn't you let us in?" asked Dorothy, her hand resting on her hip. "I have half a mind to sue those doctors, keeping me away from my own child while he was having a baby."

"They kept me out too you know," said Amy, her voice trailed off as she laid eyes for the first time on her granddaughter. "Oh...," her face softened, "She's so beautiful."

"Mom, can't you simply enjoy the fact that you're a Grandparent for even just a minute?" asked Nicholas. Emmeline could see how much he wanted his Mom to approve of his daughter, and hoped that she could see it too. They had been so close before, hopefully, some of that sentiment still existed deep inside Dorothy. Emmeline made a promise to herself to make sure she always did what was right for her daughter, not to let disappointment and anger ever get in the way of her being a good mother. This baby was now her world, and she was prepared to make it the best world she could.

"She looks like you Emmeline, all pink and chubby," said Amy softly, approaching the bed where her daughter and grandchild lay. "She even has your mole." It was on the side of the baby's cheek in exactly the same place that Emmeline had hers. Amy sighed.

"Isn't she is wonderful. I can't believe she's mine," said Emmeline dreamily, as she caressed her baby's face.

"I can't believe it either," retorted Dorothy, pulling out a few strands hair. It seemed to be a regular habit these days.

"Mom," begged Nicholas. "Can we please put all your garbage aside for a moment?"

Dorothy sniffed as she gazed at her son picking up his daughter, cradling her in his arms for the first time. She walked alongside him and put her arm around his waist. "The baby is cute, of course it is. Too bad it's not a boy, just like you." Nicholas shot her a look of disgust. "But," she continued drawing the word out. A giddy smile crossed her lips, "she is your daughter, and that makes her perfect. I have so many plans for this child. She will be just like you Nicholas."

"What have you decided to call her?" asked Amy, reaching for the baby. Dorothy interfered, waving her hand aside; hurt registered in Amy's eyes.

"I don't think we've decided yet," said Nicholas, looking to Emmeline for confirmation. There had been several names on the list, but they hadn't made a final decision. After all, they had thought that they had a couple more weeks. There were so many things still left to be done.