The Huntsman

Wynter kicked her horse to gallop faster. She looked over her shoulder, but the wind whipped her hair in her face, making it difficult to see. She couldn't see Cyrus, but she knew he wasn't far behind her.

"Come on, Snowdrop," she urged her horse. "Faster."

She had barely left the stables when she heard another set of hooves beating against the ground. Cyrus was on his horse, and he was coming after her. She veered off towards the forest, hoping to loose him in there.

Snowdrop galloped straight for an ancient tree that fell across the entrance to the forest. He leaped over the tree, and Wynter braced herself for the landing. Snowdrop made it and kept galloping as fast as he could. Wynter's heart raced in her chest. She hoped that tree would slow Cyrus down.

Wynter weaved in and out of the trees before looking back again. There was still no sign of him. She smiled. "We lost him, Snowdrop."

As if on cue, another horse jumped through the forest from Wynter's left. She screamed and pulled on the reigns to stop Snowdrop from running into the other horse. He skidded to a stop right in front of the horse and rider blocking their path.

It was Cyrus.

One corner of his mouth turned up in a smile. Wynter frowned at him and turned her horse around, but Cyrus quickly maneuvered his horse around to block her again.

"You're not going anywhere, Your Highness," said Cyrus.

"How did you find me?" Wynter's shoulders dropped. "I was sure I lost you this time."

"I can always find you, Wynter."

Cyrus moved his horse alongside Wynter's and leaned towards her. She smiled as he wrapped his arm around her waist and leaned in to kiss her. Wynter's smiled faded, and she pulled away before he could kiss her.

"What's wrong?" Cyrus asked.

Wynter shook her head. "I need to be alone."

She pulled on the reigns, but Cyrus reached out and grabbed them from her, preventing her horse from moving. He leaned in again and kissed her before she could pull away.

Wynter felt like the world and all its problems faded into the background, and it was just the two of them finally enjoying a moment alone.

Cyrus leaned back, breathless. "I've missed you, Wynter."

"Missed me? I saw you yesterday."

"In a crowded room for your father's..." Cyrus stopped. Wynter dropped her gaze and bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears stinging her eyes. Cyrus lifted her chin. "I'm sorry. I only meant it's not the same when I have to pretend to be nothing more than your father's huntsman." He brushed his hand across her cheek. "I miss your father too."

Wynter kissed him again. "So do I, and I've missed you too," she whispered.

The moment they shared seemed to slip away as the shouts of her people filled her mind again. "You're not fit to be queen!" She felt the urge to run again, but Cyrus was still holding her reigns.

"Please tell me what's wrong," said Cyrus

Wynter shifted in her saddle uncomfortably and refused to look him in the eyes. He could read her too well. "I can't be queen."

"According to whom?" he asked gently.

"The people."

"What happened, Wynter?"

She shook her head, not wanting to relive the moment. He didn't ask her again, but she knew he was waiting for an answer. "I can't protect them, Cyrus," she finally said. She forced herself to look up at him. "They want a king who can fight on their behalf."