The New King

"Andrew! Andrew!" Lucinda whispered, trying to be quiet but still heard over the sound of the whole kingdom gathered together outside of the castle below the balcony. She waved her hands to get his attention, but he was distracted by a young maid. She fumed. He should be paying attention to her instead of messing around with a servant. "Andrew!" she said louder.

Andrew looked up and glared at her. He stomped over to her. "What is it? Can't you see I'm busy?"

"You can have your fun later. Now's not the time."

"What do you want?"

The queen placed both hands on her hips. "How do I look?"

Andrew rolled his eyes. "As beautiful and young as ever, Mother."

"Perfect! Remember to come out when I announce you." She motioned to the maid who was still grinning at her son. "Don't be late, or I'll make sure no maiden will want to come near you again."

Andrew ignored her and strutted back over to the girl, who giggled at something he said. The queen shook her head in disgust. He would soon learn that none of those girls were worth his time. She would see him married to a princess for one reason alone: an heir that would secure their hold on the throne.

Lucinda turned her attention back to the present issue. She faced the curtain that separated her from the entire kingdom. Everyone was outside the castle waiting to hear what news would be so important to summon them all. The queen smoothed out her dress and smiled. It was time to deliver the good news.

Two guards pulled back the curtain, and Lucinda stepped out onto the balcony. The crowd responded with cheers, clapping, and curious murmurs about what it all meant. The queen put on a somber face and raised her hand for the crowd to quiet down.

"I know you are all wondering why I called you here, so I will not hold you in suspense any longer," said Lucinda. "It is with a heavy heart that I announce to you that our dear princess has been killed."

The crowd erupted in gasps and mournful cries. Lucinda gave them a moment before holding up her hand to silence them.

"I'm afraid that is not the worst of it. We have found evidence that links Wynter to the murder of our beloved king." She hated having to say "beloved king," but Andrew convinced her that it would help her sell the story.

The crowd's cries grew louder, and Lucinda forced up fake tears to sell her story. Her maid handed her a handkerchief, and she carefully dried her face. She allowed the crowd to voice their sorrow as they tried to understand how their princess could have done such a terrible thing.

Lucinda raised her hand for them to quiet down again. "When the physician discovered that the king had been poisoned, Wynter ran for the forest, no doubt afraid that we would learn she was the murder. The huntsman found her, but he was too late. A vicious animal got to her first."

This time the people's voices sounded like a singular murmur as they all whispered amongst themselves. Lucinda was anxious to know what they were saying and whether or not they believed her story.

"Wynter's burial will be a private affair. She does not deserve the honor or a public burial like her father. Not after what she did to him." Lucinda dried the last of her fake tears and handed the handkerchief back to her maid.

"I know you all are as grieved as we are at this great loss, but I am here to bring you a little comfort during this hard time." A small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as she thought about what came next. "This kingdom needs a wise and young king who will look after us all. Someone who will fight on our behalf and protect us from our enemies. Someone who will not stoop to murdering someone in cold blood. My son, Prince Andrew, will be that new king."

The crowd gasped in unison as Andrew stepped out onto the balcony. Silence filled the courtyard.

"As your new king, I promise to try to live up to the legacy of our late king," said Andrew. "I am honored that I should be the one to rule over you."

One by one, the people began to clap and cheer for their new king, but Lucinda could tell that many of them were hesitant to accept her son as their king. They didn't have a say in the matter though. Her son would be king no matter what. Andrew would be the king the people needed, and she would make sure everyone saw that before the end.

Still, she would make sure to keep a careful eye on all those who didn't support him. Anyone bold enough to oppose him would suffer serious consequences. She would see to it personally.