Chapter 20: Much Needed Chat

I sit in the arm chair, and Cole sits on the couch. I continue to study around the room and everything else I can see from my spot. Cole watches me. I finally look at him, and he looks down at his lap.

"I'm sorry", Cole says.

"Cole", he looks up at me. "Stop apologizing. None of this is your fault. Just stop".

"But I'm the one who got you in a fight with your boyfriend. I'm the one who dumped you because I thought I was never, ever going to see you again, and that scared me so much. I'm the one who out you through hell and he was the one who helped you through all of it. Every single part of it is my fault in someway-"

"Cole Anderson", I interrupt him, raising my voice. I get up from the chair and sit next to him. "Okay, listen to me. Stop apologizing. You are making both of us feel bad. Sure, you broke up with me and broke my heart, but at this point I don't really care anymore. I have forgotten about it, and you should too. Peter, on the other hand, he's the jealous one who doesn't want to trust me being friends with other guys. You've always understood it, and I thank you for that. This is Peter's fault, that he is so mad at the both of us. So, please. Stop apologizing".

Before Cole can say anything else, my phone starts to go off in my bag. I rush off the couch and over to my bag. Aiden, Text message. Hey, where r u?

I text back quickly Talking with u know who. Keep the others busy. Tell them I'm out buying groceries.

He says okay, and that he will keep Him busy. I put my phone away in my bag and walk back over to Cole.

I take his hand in mine and pull him from the couch. I stand an inch or so from him. He gets what I'm about to go for and wraps his arms around me. This feels normal. I turn my head so my ear is resting on his chest. His heartbeat, the one I love to listen to. I take in his smell too. The one that hasn't changed, even the slightest, since the first time I hugged him, five years ago. The only way to describe it is, a sweet pine tree in a tropical forest. Stupid and weird, right. But whatever. His arms wrap over my neck, mine around the area of his stomach.

I move away from him, realizing what I just did. "I'm sorry. I have to go". I hurry to grab my bag and run out the door.

I push the elevator button multiple times, inside me is telling me that it won't make it go any faster. The door finally opens and I rush in, pushing the close door button. As the door closes, I watch Cole as he rushes out of his apartment. "Wait", he says. A second before the door closes all the way, I hear. "I'm sorry". 

I take deep breaths as I feel the elevator drop slowly to the bottom floor. The door opens again and I walk out.

From memory, the grocery store is one block up, and two blocks to the right. I hurry down the street as both rain and snow fall from the sky. Bad day to wear my glasses.

After picking up groceries for the next week or two. Lunches, and small things for dinner, fruits and vegetables, other things for smoothies. I walk with the four bags hanging off my arm, the three blocks back to my apartment. The elevator is feels faster here than Cole's building. I unlock my door and put the groceries down, cleaning my glasses on my shirt. Yesterday I had bought glassware, plates and bowls, and pots and pans. I tried for the cheap stuff, and since I knew I wasn't going to be cooking much, I just bought the most essentials. So, as I out my food away, I also familiarize myself with where I stored everything.

After everything is out away, I text Aiden. Where r u? I need to talk. I hit send.

Heading up the elevators now. Want me to come in?

Yes.

Not even thirty seconds later, there was a knock on my door. I rush over and answer it. "Thank god you are here. I can't tell this to anyone but you".

Aiden hurries in and takes a seat as I close the door. "Why did you talk to him? Where were you? Do know how bad Peter was yelling at me? You can't do this!" Aiden raises his voice at me.

"Okay, I can explain. Just please, don't be mad at me, I couldn't handle that right now", I start. Aiden takes a deep breath and nods for me to continue. "Okay, so after practice, I got a text from saying he wanted to continue our talk from a few days ago when Peter caught him here. I had to talk to Cole, you know that. Without Peter knowing anything about me talking to anybody else. Peter was giving Cole dirty looks today, and he can't know that I talk to Cole. And, Aiden, I don't know if I can keep this relationship with Peter. Today, he didn't even talk to me, he didn't even look at me. He hasn't talked to since we fought on Saturday night. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to break up with him. But, I have to tell you something else", I wince a little.

"Go on", Aiden says to me.

"I hugged Cole. And, it sort of felt good", I wince again at the face Aiden gives me.

"You what?" Aiden starts. He stares at me for a moment. "Okay, that's not leaving this apartment ever. As far as anyone else knows, you went grocery shopping today, just like you did, and that's all you did. You didn't see anybody, you didn't talk to anybody you knew. You went grocery shopping. That's it", Aiden stands up.

"Thank you", I whisper as he wraps his arms around me. "I'm so glad you're here with me".

Aiden, the only sane one right now. Thank you