Chapter Nine.

Elijah Astor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I slapped Tommy’s hand down as he continued to wave idiotically at Dakota. “Stop.” I demanded, growling at him lightly under my breath.

Tommy gave me a funny look. “What’s gotten into you?”

I shrugged quickly. The thing is, I don’t know what’s gotten into me. Maybe it’s the fact that I can’t get the name Dave out of my head and what he means to Dakota, if he even means anything at all. And I also can’t stop seeing the image of Dakota’s anguished face at the sound of that name.

Tommy’s hand smacked against my back. “It’s alright, man. It’s okay to be jealous.”

I sneer. “Jealous of what?”

“That your girl is flirting with me.”

I grab a fistful of Tommy’s collar, and jerk him upright. “She’s not my girl.” My voice was deadly low, and my eyes pierced harshly into Tommy, daring him to challenge me.

Tommy didn’t find anything by this. His face constructed into a stupid smile. “So, I can have her then?”

I push him away. “No.”

“What?” He whines, and bends his head down as he shakes his head sadly. “That’s so messed up, bro. How can you keep her from me? She’s so ho-…” Tommy’s voice trailed off as a light knock sounded against the wall.

My eyes flickered over to Dakota whom was leaning through the doorway of the backstage, her hands pressed against the walls on either side of her. “Elijah.”

The way she spoke brought a bunch of crazy feelings. Her voice sounded almost teasing, and I couldn’t stop myself from picturing her moaning my name.

Stupid hormones. I really hate myself sometimes.

“What?” I snapped, and rolled my eyes, turning away from her to close up my guitar case.

When I looked back up, Tommy was sliding past Dakota, whispering something to her on his way out. I scowled heatedly at the way she giggled, and tossed her hair. When we were finally alone, the air around us fell silent, and the tension almost seemed to land right on my shoulders.

Dakota walked closer, and titled her head back, looking me in the eye. “Um, tonight’s my first paycheck.”

I raised an eyebrow. “And?”

Dakota grimaced. “Well, can I have it?”

I could give her a lot of things. I could give her a piece of my mind, and let her know just how pestering she can be. And how much she can piss me off and rid me of any nerves that I have left.

But instead, I just shrugged again, and said, “Whatever.” I wrapped my fingers around her thin wrist, and pulled her through the remaining crowed and over to my father’s office.

“What’s your problem?” She seethed, and tugged her wrist so fast out of my grip it was as though my touch burned her.

“You.” I answered simply. I pried open the office’s door, and stepped inside, closing it behind Dakota.

Dakota stood by the door, and glared up at me, her lip pulled back in disfavor. “Me? What the hell did I do?”

“Get that look off your face, Dakota.” I snapped, and quickly retrieved her paycheck from the pile on the desk. I thrust it at her, ready to move around her and leave the room.

Her hand reaches out and grabs me around the bicep. “Wait, Elijah.”

There she goes with saying my name again. I sigh deeply, and roll my head to the side in order to look at her. “What?”