Chapter Three

I was stunned.

     Left in place of the demonic mass was a face and a tall, black form whose dark silhouette framed his liquid emerald eyes. I could not make heads or tails if it was clothing that he wore or if it were additional sheaths of magic that disguised his figure but I could see that his skin was dark and that his hair was short, black, and feathered. This man, this creature, gazed at me expectantly.

     Sucking in a sharp breath, I did not miss the fact that it had listened to me. On cue. The creature's body and face flickered in and out of focus in a glitchy manner almost like there were overlapping images put in place to form his appearance. His skin would momentarily change a color here and there, face to discreetly change its shape... the only constant being the sharp eyes that sought every corner of my soul. When I shifted my gaze to his feet, my assumptions were confirmed in that his legs faded into nothingness inches before reaching the ground. This gave me the unearthly reminder that I needed.

     Demons were deceitful.

     When I looked up to meet his gaze head on, I swallowed the knot in my throat and fisted my hands, stepping closer but twelve inches while thinking how oddly beautiful he was despite the Demonicism. "What do you want?" This was the typical beginning to any interaction with a spirit. Asking things. Wanting intent and clear, concise picture of his soul's desire. There was always a reason when they came to me and I felt that this man was no different, this affirmed by the expectations that he seemed to be gazing at me with.

     The image of my car steaming flashed in my mind, unsummoned seconds after I asked. The sensation of shock jabbed my heart. Widening my lashes, I said, "You did that?"

     It nodded but the gesture was incremental.

     I found myself mildly irritated despite consoling myself that it was about time to get rid of it anyway. "What do you want?" I repeated. The man lifted his chin and nodded as if I would know and then it mouthed something unrecognizable. I hated reading lips. "Who?" Confusion pulled my brows together.

     He did this for you.

     I could not mistake those words; they had prodded my mind like a spirit voice coming to me in a soundless whisper-appearing in my mind like an invasive thought. I was a bit nervous, but now, more than confused.

     "I don't understand. What do I call you?"

     The man smirked fractionally, a motion which sent chills crawling up my spine like spiders. Having a Demon's name was power therefore knowing this he said nothing. The smile slipped away from his features, causing alarms to tinkle in my head. When in danger, my spirits would always appear but their absence made me feel abandoned and vulnerable. I was nothing without them and this was a cold reminder.

     I stiffened, my heart beating faster when he shifted and indicated that he would step closer, gazing at me just a bit more intently.

     The man seemed to be contemplating something though... and its form flickered vehemently a few times while those brief thoughts passed through my mind. As if sensing that in me, his liquid eyes hopped up to my face and he opened his arms, his palms turned toward me like he was a conductor revealing an orchestra; a grand sweep accompanied by a cold smile and slight narrowing of his eyes.

     This hint was a prompt indication that I was not in control here.

     A cold brush of an unseen force stroked my temple lightly enough that my hair shifted with the touch. Being accustomed to the origin-less contact, all I could feel was anticipate.