Luke

"Finally!" I shrieked, pushing the covers to the end of the bed and jumping out, avoiding the dog laying on the ground.

"It's finally Thursday." I whispered, slipping a red and black gradient flannel over my shoulders, running a lime-green hairbrush through my quiff.

"Kat!" I screamed, kicking the door that led from my room to hers. "Time to get up!"

The door suddenly swung open and revealed my sister with smoke pouring from her ears.

"I'm up, you idiot!" She yelled back at me and I pulled a semi-guilty face.

"Sorry." I said sheepishly, hitting myself for being so excited about today.

Even though she's my younger sister, I still hate when she's mad at me.

She rolls her eyes and scoffs, slamming the door in my face.

I let out an amused chuckle and continued getting ready.

By the time, I get downstairs, it's already 8:50 and I notice my dad with his head buried in a newspaper.

"Dad! God dammit, did you forget what today is?" I raise my voice when I notice his calm state.

"I'm not all that excited, Lucas. I told you and your sister that several times." He says, his glasses placed on his head and a deflated expression on his face.

My excitement about today fizzles and I sigh, sitting down at the table across from him.

He looks up at me, an eyebrow raised and lips parted, as if he expects me to say something.

"You can go without me, you know." He says slowly as if I didn't know that was allowed.

"Do I want to?" I say irritated now, looking at him as if he should know.

He sighs exasperated, placing the newspaper on the table and taking his glasses off.

"Luke, you know when you guys made the plan that I wasn't 100% on board. I thought I could do this but I just can't. Not today."

I stare at him with my jaw clenched.

"Mom-" I start but he cuts me off.

"No. I've made my decision."

"Morning!" My sister shouts, reaching the bottom step and her smile drops when she sees us. "Uh oh, what's going on?"

She's wearing a white dress with a big red bow wrapped around her waist and tied in the back.

I close my eyes for a second and sigh.

"Dad's not coming." I say finally, getting up and going over to her.

I grab her hand in mine and pull her outside, shading my eyes from the sun.

"What happened?" She asks, her voice small as she opens the door to my car.

"He's not ready." I say simply, shutting the door loudly.

When we get to the gate, I can barely see the people on the other side. The crowd is too big.

"C'mon, Kat." I say, getting out, starting to walk towards the large fence.

 A policeman sees us and strolls over.

"Are you qualified, young man?" He asks, and I nod, already knowing this was coming.

"I'm 18, sir." I tell him and he nods his head once, his eyes trailed onto Kat. "This is my sister. She's 14." 

He looks down at a clipboard. "Name?"

"Katherine Shelling." I tell him and he raises an eyebrow.

"Your mother?" He asks and I nod. "Okay, follow me."

You can tell by his shocked face that this doesn't happen a lot.

Very rarely.

That's why I was so confused when they listened to my dad the first time.

He takes us to the fence and talks to another cop through the wire.

He leads us along the line until we reach a large patch of open space.

"Mom!" Kat suddenly yells and I see her run over to us, her arms outstretched.

Her smile is big but her muddy blonde hair has grayed 30% since we've seen her last and there are big bags under her eyes. Wrinkles are spread all over her skin and she looks exhausted. 

She hugs Kaitlyn first, tears threatening to leave her eyes, the shaking of her shoulders as she holds back sobs. "Look how big you are." She whispers, opening her eyes to look at me.

"Oh god, Luke. You two are gonna make me cry." She mumbles, her voice shaky. "Where's your father?"

Even though he put her here, she's still worried about him.

"He didn't want to see you. He's a coward." I say angrily, letting out of the hug and she looks at me.

"I understand. Don't be mad at him, though. He needs you two more than anything."

"I'd rather live with you." I tell her and she closes her eyes, sighing.

"I know, honey. But you can't." She says hugging me again. "I wish you could."

"Can't you come back?" Kat asks and she laughs slightly. "You've been gone 5 years."

"I know. I wish I could come home but I have to stay over here until they tell me I can leave."

"Katherine. It's time." The cop says pulling her back and she hugs us both one more time.

Kat starts to cry but all I can do is stare as my mom gets locked back behind the fence.