22

I'm dead. I'm officially dead. My father would be so mad—scratch that—he was probably already mad as heck. I had to get home as soon as possible; every minute that I delayed going back, the worse my 'welcome' would be. Without thinking, I stood and hurried into the kitchen with my untouched food. I scraped the mac and cheese back into the pot of leftovers and washed and dried my plate, scurrying around the kitchen, looking as to where they were stored. After I found it and placed it gently inside, I sat in one of the chairs to the small table and covered my face with my hands, trying to calm my shaking body. I didn't want to go home, but I knew the sooner I went, the less my punishment would be. Why he cared so much about it was beyond my knowledge, but I got the feeling that he looked for the simplest things to beat me for. I didn't know why he did it, all I knew is that he did, and I knew it was something I did. He hated me. I didn't know why, but it was my fault. It was all my fault.

"Danny, are you alright?" A clink on the counter told me that Josh had set down his plate. His footsteps were clear and loud as he walked up behind me, pulling out a seat next to me. "What's wrong?" he reached out a hand to touch my arm, but I turned towards him so he couldn't reach.

"I have to go home." I whispered shakily, hugging myself so my body would stop trembling.

His eyes narrowed in suspicion. "You can stay here, Danny. You can stay with us until tomorrow."

I shook my head, sighing and standing up. "Thank you, but I have to go." I inhaled shakily, brushing my bags behind my ear. Tears were stinging my eyes, and I didn't want hi to see me cry anymore than he had to. He stood abruptly, grabbing my shoulders gently to get me to stop.

He ran his fingertips across my cheek, staring into my eyes. He wouldn't let me look away, but instead I stared into his eyes, studying the tiny specks of gold inside them. "Stay here," he breathed, "Stay with me." He smiled when I found myself nodding without my permission.

I snapped back into reality when he blinked, and I shook my head to clear my thoughts. "Is it alright if you stay in my room?" his eyes were bright, and his smile mirrored it.

No, no it wasn't. Not at all. But again, I found myself nodding, not really know what I was doing.

"Hey guys!" Iya bounced in, well, skipped really, and put her plate in the sink. "I can't wait to go shopping tomorrow!" she squealed, coming up and hugging me. I awkwardly patted her arm until she let go of me.

"Iya," Josh grabbed her arm as she started out. "Tell Mom that Danny's staying the night." Iya frowned, glancing from him to me, and back to him.

"Alright, but I can guarantee she won't liiikkkeee it." She sang, dancing out.

"Okay, then." He dragged out the words, staring after her. "How would you like ta go watch a movie?"

Believe it or not, I had never actually seen a movie. Whenever my family watched TV, I was never with them. I couldn't stand being with them. I was usually up in my room with the door closed, writing and listening to music. I was never allowed a TV in my room, and the only reason I had my iPod was when my mom had one of her little spites when she felt sorry for me. I shrugged, just wanting to lean into his chest, close my eyes, and forget everything.

"C'mon, you can pick the movie." He glanced down, almost as if he wanted to take my hand and lead me, but he decided not to and walked out with me at his heels. I ignored the family still in the living room and followed him up the stairs—alone. My hands were shaking so badly that I had to put them in my pockets to stop them. I wanted to trust him, but I hoped I wasn't pushing it too far.

Opening a cabinet, he pulled out a box filled with movies. "Here are some of 'em."

Hesitantly, I took them from him, staring into it and not recognizing one of them. "I've never seen a movie before—I don't know what these are." I admitted in a reluctant whisper.