19

"Can you tell me why your sister can't seem to think straight?"

I set down the bouquet of flowers and glance up at my blonde friend. "What did she do now, Care?"

A frown appears on her lips, "She and Stefan broke up, which is terrible because he won't attend the pageant now!"

My eyes widen at the news, taking this all in. It was now time to renew the Miss Mystic Falls Beauty Pageant and Caroline asked me to volunteer and help. I mainly agreed so I could get my community service hours up.

"I had no idea," I tell her, crossing my arms.

"Oh, she's right there. Let's go," She grabs my hand. "And why are we going over to her?" I question. "Because you and I are going to shake some sense into her clearly diseased brain."

I stop her, "Okay, and what's wrong with her diseased brain?" I ask. She crosses her arms, "Your sister has feelings for Damon!"

"Oh..." The mention of Damon crossing through my mind made me irk. I reject him, so now he moves onto my sister? That thought alone didn't sit right with me.

Elena is arranging flowers in a vase at a table and Caroline and I walk over to her. "Look, I'm your best friend and I would never pick sides, but are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soul mate."

Elena looks up at her and Caroline sighs, "Sorry. Picking sides."

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense." Elena responds and I scrunch my nose in disgust.

Caroline looks down, "Yeah, I know. Stefan filled me in on all the gory Damon details."

"He did?" Elena looks at her for a second, worried. "Is he okay?"

"No, he's heartbroken." Caroline responds. "Well, what was I supposed to do? Lie to him?" Elena questions.

I purse my lips and decided to agree with my blonde friend, "Can't you pretend your feelings for Damon aren't there for one night? Stefan deserves to be there."

"Yeah!" Caroline nodded rapidly, "Damon's just confusing your newbie vampire heart."

"Well, he did and that's exactly what I am," she states, "...confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean."

"Excuse me, I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants."

I turn around, facing a man with curly brown hair. "You're Professor Shane." Elena realizes and all three of us exchange looks.

Professor Shane was the teacher at the Whitemore College who took over Bonnie's Gram's class. Bonnie told me a lot about him.

"Yeah, that's right. Professor by day; pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I'm apparently awarding a scholarship." he says.

"Uh, inside by the parlor." I tell him, and he points up towards the house. "Right in here?"

I nod. "Mhm."

"All right, I'll just follow the scent of hairspray and world domination." he jokes and Caroline laughs quietly as Professor Shane walks away.

Elena turns and looks at us, "He's the one who told Damon how to break the hunter's curse."

"He's also the one that has Bonnie so obsessed with practicing magic that she bailed on pageant prep."

"And now he's judging Miss Mystic Falls?" Elena says as Caroline raises her eyebrows.