s e v e n

Chapter Seven Ceon

            I opened the door to the deli and swiveled it open. It was strangely quiet in there and seemed bare, but I decided that they were still mad at me from being a jerk the day before. I had saved up my money and decided to treat them to a large bucket of KFC chicken. I had really felt bad about ignoring them and yelling at Danyelle. So, I scraped up my last dime to pay for the $7.95 bucket of chicken. Sarai and Matt would eat like kings. I was actually upset about having to buy the chicken. I wanted to treat them, but I barely had any money to pay! I had to pay in mostly pennies—from the change for a new showerhead for our shower—and everyone on the long line behind me was annoyed that I kept losing track of the amount I had counted. I had to keep starting over. Talk about embarrassing. But it was worth it, because Sarai and Matt would definitely forgive me.

            I smiled as I walked into the deli. “Fletcher?” I called. No answer. I thought he was ignoring me; so I tried a different approach. “I found a family that will adopt us all!” I yelled, trying to lure him out of his hiding spot. He always fell for that. No answer. I laughed. “Well, you’re not falling for that this time… Sarai! Matt!” I called. No answer. I frowned, setting down the bucket of chicken and my workbag. I looked in all the usual hiding spaces, but couldn’t find anyone. My heart began to beat rapidly. I opened the door to the storeroom. No one. I looked in all the corners of the room. I looked in the bathroom. No one. “Guys?” I called again. No answer.

            I walked out into the central area and sat on the barstool by the counter and sighed. Relief flooded my legs and knees. Standing at a register everyday in a ghetto supermarket bagging groceries didn’t work wonders on my legs. After reprieve set in, I thought. I didn’t know what to do. This had never happened before… Maybe they just went out to get some food…with whatever money they could find. I thought. I laid my elbow on the counter. I heard a crackle of paper, which I snatched up. When I read it, I couldn’t believe it. I began to shake. The following was written largely in a bright purple crayon:

Ceon,

I’m sorry. We have to leave you.  We are dying. We can’t all live together here. We took the E-train to Cretonne to find a family to adopt us. I don’t think we will go all the way to Creo Cretonne, though. We will maybe stop at Boreal or maybe Sheathing. Probally Probably Sheathing, though since I know their pretty well. Danyelle helped us get theyr’e. She says that if you need anything you can call her number 646-923-0012. When we do get there, we’ll rite you a letter telling you were to find us. Your paycheck is clearly only for one person. 

See you soon, your bro

Fletcher

There was also a letter from Matt and Sarai with many misspellings, but I didn’t care. There were also peanut butter fingerprint smears that I avoided.

Ceon

We sorry we hav to go butt we cant cant stay because we will get sick. We love you but Fleetcher says we must go know.

Bye from Mattand Sarai

            I just sat there for a long time staring at the letter. Then, I began to tremble uncontrollably. I slammed my fist on the counter over and over until it throbbed. Mind-pictures of me, Mom, Dad, Fletch, and the twins flashed through my mind. I remembered Sarai’s face, how much she looked like our dad—and Matthew, how much he looked like our dad too. And Fletcher, with his mixture of mom and dad. I couldn’t do anything. I stood up. I sat back down. I pinched myself… Not dreaming. Danyelle. Danyelle…did this. The sense of hatred and anger was almost stronger than the day I found out my parents had been in a car crash and my dad died instantly.