f i f t e e n

Ceon

            As I watched hazel flames of fire dance in Theodore’s eyes, I knew immediately that Danyelle was going to get a major tongue-lashing. Although internally, I was thinking I told you so. I knew we should have left, the first chance we had. Ever since I had known him as a kid, Theodore and I had never gotten along. He was all brawn, and I was pure brain. He could have rearranged my face in a fistfight, but in an IQ test, let’s just say I would’ve mopped the floor with his butt. He seemed smarter now, but when we were 10, Theodore had the IQ of a pile of socks. I stepped in front of her, just as Theodore began to talk.

            “Gimme one reason I shouldn’t report ya to the authorities,” he said, glaring at Danyelle and me. “First of all, Theodore,” I began, “You’re not going to do anything.”

“Shut your mouth,” Theodore snapped, the hazel flames in his dark eyes glowing. I shrunk back, but Danyelle held her head high. Fletcher stood, and he grabbed Matt and Sarai. Theodore continued talking, “And since when you start talking all proper? Last time I checked, you was running barefoot in the playground with chiggers in your foot like everybody else.”

            I sniffed. “That was clearly not the life for me. I mean, that’s why I took my crew and left. Living at the SO was the worse time of my life. They barely fed us, and when they did, they mocked us and laughed when we fought each other for seconds. I was smart enough to leave.”

Theodore looked like he wanted to stab me. If looks could kill, the daggers he was throwing at me with his eyes would have killed me quite a while ago. I thought of him with her, of him holding her, and my face burned and temper flared. I thought of him…I thought of Theodore kissing Danyelle and I wanted to take those daggers and stab him back. He wasn’t worthy of her. I wasn’t perfect, but he was the biggest jerk I had ever met and I wasn’t going to have him treat her that way, rejection or not.

“Who you think you is? Who gave you the authority to just—up and leave? You ain’t got no authority to escape—’’

“I didn’t have the have the authority,” I said, “And I knew I would never earn it, so why stick around?”

Theodore scowled. “Ms. Genevieve, please pass me the phone, I got a reward to claim.”

Genevieve nodded, enthused. “Ain’t no need to tell me twice, Theo,” she said, handing him the phone quickly.

“Wait!” cried Danyelle. Theodore paused to look up at her from those three fatal numbers. “Teddy, I can explain.” Theodore stared at her. He honestly looked like he wanted to smack her like an annoying mosquito that just wouldn’t go away.

            “What?” Theodore asked.

Danyelle looked down at her shirt. “The truth is, everyone’s here because of me. Ceon would have never been in this trouble if I hadn’t used my phone in the Clementon, and the reason I was using my cell phone was my fault. I helped Fletch and S and M get away to Sheathing, thinking it would be better for them. We had to come back and rescue them before they were recognized… But if you’re going to call the authorities on anyone, it should be me. Just let Ceon and the others get away…Please.

I started to tell her no, but she hushed me. “I promised Ceon and Fletcher, Sarai, and Matt that I would get them back home, and…” she swallowed, and I imagined she was attempting to stop her tears. Even I was, and Matt was visibly crying. Sarai was patting his hair. Danyelle continued. “…And a McKenzie never goes back on her promise, no matter what the consequences may be.” A tiny tear escaped her eye, and she wiped it away, slightly smudging her makeup. She still looked beautiful, and I slipped my hand in hers and stood beside her. She gripped mine tightly, and it must be confessed that my heart started racing despite the obvious.

Theodore stared at us, and fleetingly his eyes softened and the hazel sparks calmed down. “Well, if ya gonna put it that way,” he began. “No.”

“Wh-what?” Danyelle stuttered. “No,” Theodore said. “You think I give a flying flamenco whose fault this was? Ya’ll think I suffered 12 years for nothing before I got ‘dopted to just let ya’ll get off scot-free? Nope. Not happenin’. And I still ain’t in no way getting out of here, and if anyone deserves to, it’s me.”

Genevieve started. “Theo, I done think they give a mighty well explanation for what they done… they ain’t deserve to be treated like this, nobody do.”

Theodore looked at Genevieve. “Ms. Genevieve, I beg your pardon but I ain’t asking for your opinion.” I internally rolled my eyes at Theodore. Ever the gentleman. Theodore’s eye-flames began dancing again. “I done said,” Theodore said. “If anyone deserves to leave Sheathing, it’s me.” And with that he picked up the phone and began dialing: 9…  1…

“Wait!” Danyelle cried out. “What now?” yelled Theodore.

“Come with us.” Said Danyelle.

“What?” I yelled, letting go of her hand.

Danyelle glared at me. Theodore stood there staring at her. “What?”

“Come with us.” She repeated. “No one would know, and you’d be able to leave to freedom with us. Studebaker is the place to be, you’d be able to start over and leave everything behind.”

“C-come?” Theodore asked. His eye-flames stopped flicking violently and he looked at Genevieve, who shrugged. He looked at me. I might have smiled, but I don’t really remember. Everything is a little hazy to me.

But Theodore put the phone down and looked at his hands. I could’ve sworn a tear fell unto his hands, but Danyelle says that he never cried. Whatever. He looked up.

            “I’m sorry, ya’ll.” He said. “I let my anger and hatred to the SO get the best of me, and I ain’t never gonna do it again, considering what I almost just did. I almost—’’ he choked on his words.

Genevieve patted his shoulder encouragingly. “I almost—I almost turned ya’ll in. I don’t deserve to go nowhere. I deserve to stay behind. Ya’ll go on without me.” He turned to leave, but Danyelle stopped him. Rats.

“No.” she said. “We’re not going without you.” She said. He turned around. “Really?” I looked at Fletch and S&M, who nodded. So, I nodded too. I didn’t want to seem jealous. Because I wasn’t, obviously. I mean, how immature would that be?

            Theodore adjusted his cap on his head, a habit he had had since we were kids. “Well, I guess I’ll—’’

Danyelle didn’t even let him finish. She absolutely, positively squealed and hugged him as tight as could be. Genevieve gave him a hug too, and she gave him a bill. “Won’t tell a soul,” she said. Theodore seemed like an ass to make his decision on the spot like that, but would I? Probably.

I stared at Danyelle and him, realizing that my chance was passed. But I knew I’d fight for her the moment it was time. I wasn’t giving up on her. I was in love with her.

He shook my hand, and lifted Matt up on his shoulders. Sarai clung in her usual spot on Danyelle’s hip. Fletcher stood by me and helped me carry the bags out. Genevieve stood waving and crying by the library door, and Theo sat and balanced the bags on his handlebars. I looked over at Danyelle, just as she glanced back at me knowingly. This was our second great escape. I breathed outward.

“Ya’ll three walk quick down to the station,” he said pointing to Dan, Fletch, and me. “I’m-a-ride down real quick with the chillun and wait for ya’ll there, we gonna leave ASAP.” Dan and Fletch nodded. I just watched Sarai and Matt squeeze into the wicker basket on his bike. It was a wonder they could even fit in there. Well, not really.

He put his foot on the pedal, winked at Danyelle, and sped off no-handedly down the street.

We watched him go, waved to Genevieve, and began to walk quickly to the train station.

We didn’t look back.