Chapter 6

Wine Time was a fairly new hot spot in Roane that boasted the utmost discretion regarding its clientele. Remy Kress eyed the men surrounded by female waitresses decked out in short black dresses. She was beginning to wonder if Wine Time was actually a gentleman's club disguised as a bar. She stared at the stamp on her right hand. It was a picture of a wineglass with the bar's name above it.

"So much for classy," she muttered. She was beginning to think the twenty dollar cover charge was a bit steep. Remy had only come to the bar after being encouraged by her mother that she needed to get out more.

"You're going to die alone if you don't put yourself out there," her mother had warned her.

Even her friends were beginning to drop hints. Remy couldn't ignore all the conversations that steered towards her going out and meeting new people. Remy's last boyfriend had lasted two months and ended with him telling her he needed someone more adventurous.

She looked at the overly attractive waitresses and sighed. How could she compete with them when she was dressed in a conservative grey dress that hit her knees?

"Can I buy you a drink?"

Remy looked up from the glass of wine that was already in front of her to peer into the face of a handsome stranger. She nodded her head towards her red wine. "Sorry, I already have one."

He sat across from her in the booth she was sitting at and smiled. "In that case, can you buy me one?"

Remy smirked. "Is that supposed to be some kind of new pickup line?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Did it work?"

"No."

"Then, I guess not. They also sell sandwiches. I can buy you one of those if you like. I don't see that you have one unless you have it hidden away in your purse or something."

That earned a grin from Remy, who crossed her arms and leaned back against the leather booth.

"You're smiling." He pointed to her, leaning forward.

Remy looked back at her drink. "I don't remember inviting you to sit down."

"That's probably because you didn't."

"Then why did you?" she asked, her annoyance evident in her tone of voice.

"Do you want the truth?" he asked.

Remy made an annoyed expression. "No, I want a lie."

"Okay, I'll be honest. The thing is...I'm known as a shy guy and I have a bet with my friends that I'd find the most beautiful woman in this place. They said that was too easy. They said I had to talk to her too."

Remy bit back the smile his flattery was causing. "And?"

"And if I can convince her to talk to me, they'll pay for all my drinks tonight. So I looked around this place and there are some pretty attractive women here. Out of all the women I've seen here, you're hands down the most sexy. So here I am."

"Are you done?" Remy asked.

"Not quite. I have to talk to you for at least ten minutes."

Remy looked around the bar. "Where are these friends of yours?"

He grabbed her hands. "Don't look for them or they'll know I told you about the bet."

"So?"

"So, that goes against the man code. You can't win a bet like this if you tell the woman. That's so uncool."

Remy laughed. "You're crazy. You know that?"

"I've been told that before. So what do you want to talk about for the next ten minutes? I'm down for anything."

Remy's eyes narrowed. "You'll talk to me about anything for the next ten minutes?"

He nodded.

"What if I wanted to talk about my period?"

He gave an awkward laugh. "I don't know too much about a woman's menstrual cycle...but okay. Do you get cramps?"

"Relax, I wouldn't do that to you." She looked at the piano in the corner of the bar and grinned. "I'll tell you what. If you can play me a song on that instrument, I'll help you win your bet."

"Really?"

"Really," she said, nodding.

He stood up, pointing a finger at her with a teasing smile on his face. "You can't go back on your word."

Remy watched as he sat behind the piano and pulled the microphone that was perched on the instrument towards him. "I want to dedicate this song to the most beautiful woman here tonight. She knows who she is."

The sweet melody of Joe Cocker's You are so Beautiful filled the bar, followed by soft applause. Remy looked around to see the other patrons in their fancy dresses and suits, appreciating the music being shared by the handsome stranger she had just met.

When he was done playing, she watched him stand up and walk behind the bar to the bathrooms. She had expected him to return to the table. Remy slowly stood up and followed his path, wondering why he hadn't made good on their deal.

"Did you like it?" he asked from behind a large potted plant, startling her.

"Oh, you scared me," Remy said softly, a hand on her chest. "Why didn't you come back to the booth?"

"I thought about it and let's say you and I really hit it off. How could I tell our grandkids I approached their grandmother because of a bet?"

Remy couldn't hide her smile.

"So, you're willing to lose your bet?"

"I am."

Remy wrapped her arms around his neck. "Is this another pick up line?"

"I don't know. Is it working?"

"Yes."

He grinned. "Then, I guess it is."

"So, if not the bet, what story will you tell these hypothetical grandchildren of ours?" Remy asked.

"I'll say that it was love at first sight. I saw you and played a song on the piano for you and my music moved you so much that you fell in love with me too. It sounds about right, doesn't it?"

"Love at first sight?"

He nodded. "My playing moved you didn't it?"

She nodded.

"Enough for you to give me your heart?"

"Maybe," Remy teased. "I'd never give my heart away that easily."

"So she's not only beautiful...she's smart too," he whispered as his lips lightly pressed against hers. "You've been waiting for me to give your heart away."

"How about we go to my place tonight," Remy whispered. "We can rehearse the story we're going to tell our grandchildren."

He laughed again. "Those hypothetical ones?"

"Yes."

"So, does that mean you've agreed?" he asked again.

"Agreed to what?"

"To give me your heart?"

Remy stared at the man that had somehow charmed her. He was sweet and attractive. Didn't her mother tell her she needed to take more risks when it came to her love life? She nodded. "Yes. I'll give you my heart."

"