Chapter One: Tyler

"True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. It is, on the contrary, an element calm and deep. It looks beyond mere externals, and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding." 

--  Ellen G. White

Chapter One

Tyler's POV

I surveyed the old log cabin, charming in its way. The structures were classic with no electricity, but it was complete with gas and water systems. There was an old fireplace with logs on the side, a two-seater couch and matching armchair, a wooden table with candles, bookshelves, and a dining table for two. The kitchen was stocked with canned goods, noodles, fruits, and vegetables. Just as I requested.

"Are you single, Mr. Reed?"

I turned to Claudia, the Japanese teenage girl who showed me the cabin and helped me settle in. Her family owned the place. I spoke to her father on the phone before I paid the rent online. I was expecting to see him here, not his daughter.

"Yeah," I replied.

There was a gleam in her eyes as she clasped her hands together. "Have you ever been in love?"

I found it peculiar that this girl asked me such a personal thing. We'd only just met. Questions about my love life annoyed me in general. I didn't care to answer them. I wanted to ignore the question, but she waited for my reply.

"Nope. Is the water drinkable here?" I asked, reminding her that she was supposed to show me the place, not ask me questions.

"Yeah, you can. There's a water filter system installed under the sink."

I nodded.

She smiled. "Why is it that you've never been in love, Mr. Reed?"

I shoved my hands inside my jacket and turned to her. "Curiosity killed the cat, you realize."

She looked down. "Sorry if I offended you with my questions."

I clenched my jaw. I'd embarrassed her. She didn't mean any harm with her questions. She was just a curious young girl who was fascinated with love and romance.

"I haven't found the right woman to marry yet," I said, attempting to make her feel at ease again. "I get busy with work. I don't have the time for it."

She nodded, then walked toward the window. She stared at the moon as if captivated by it. "There will be a lunar eclipse tonight."

"Really?" I looked at the moon

"Really?" I looked at the moon. "I haven't watched the news lately. As I said, I get busy."

I was unable to watch the news or any other television program anymore. My life revolved around work; waking up early to go to the office, attending business meetings, visiting project sites, making structural plans, and other tedious tasks. I finished my days by returning home late at night. Alone.

She faced me again. "There's a mystery that surrounds this cabin, you know."

Mystery? "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Grandma said that there's a spell that happens here every time there's a lunar eclipse."

"A spell?"

She nodded. "The spell of true love's kiss. Happens at midnight."

I raised my brow. "That's... interesting."

"Yeah. It's magical!"

I tried not to laugh. The girl had obviously read too many fairy tales and love stories. Not to mention the influence of princess movies. Kids thought that marriage was like lying on a bed of roses. If only they knew.

"But Dad said it's not true," she continued. "Years ago, a friend of his stayed here during a lunar eclipse. He was desperate to find true love, but it didn't work for him."

"Too bad."

She nodded. "Who knows if it will work on you, Mr. Reed."

I chuckled. That was impossible. "I'm here for a quiet weekend, Claudia. I'm not expecting anyone."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Well, I have to go now before the snow comes. It's supposed to come down pretty hard."

"You should." I opened the door for her. "Thanks, Claudia."

"No Problem, Mr. Reed."

***

I lay on the couch and put an arm over my head, breathing deeply. The place was so peaceful. I felt so relaxed being there, alone, away from the loud horns of cars in the city, the buzzing sound of people in the office, and the constant ringing of phones. I needed a weekend away from the stress in a place where no one would find me. This was perfect.

As a civil engineer, I worked hard to build my own construction company. Now at age twenty-seven, I made myself a success by expanding the business to neighboring states. But I was married to my business. It became my passion, my life, my obsession.

"You should date and find a nice girl to marry. You're not getting any younger, Tyler," said my mom every time she called me.

"I'm busy, Mom."

"Take a break. Money won't make you happy."

"I know, but we need money to survive." I always had to remind her of that.

I didn't want to relive what happened in the past when we didn't have enough. When the budget was tight. We struggled to pay our monthly bills, and sometimes we didn't have enough left for food. That was ten years ago when my father abandoned us so that he could live with his mistress.

God forgive me. Dad died five years ago, but still, I couldn't forget what he did to us.

I opened my eyes and erased the thoughts from my mind. I didn't want to dwell on the pain anymore. It would only ruin my plan to have a peaceful weekend.

I shivered. I needed to start up the fire before I became too comfortable. I sat up and moved toward the fireplace when an old lamp caught my attention. It was covered in rust, dust, and ashes. Something about it fascinated me, maybe because it was the oldest thing in this place. It even had a box of matches next to it with some left inside. I took the lamp, adjusted the knob, then lit it.

Did you enjoy the chapter? The next is more exciting!

Please don't forget to vote, comment and share to your friends. I'll appreciate it a lot guys :)