Chapter Two: Tyler

"You're not looking for perfection in your partner. Perfection is all about the ego. With soulmate love, you know that true love is what happens when disappointment sets in - and you're willing to deal maturely with these disappointments." 

--- Karen Salmansohn

Chapter Two

Tyler's POV

I enjoyed the warm water running down from my head to my toes in the shower. Every cell of my body came to life. Even the darkest spots buried deep inside my heart revived.

            But then she appeared in my mind

The last time I saw her was five years ago at Dad's funeral. She looked incredible, tall, slim and graceful in her conservative black dress. But her eyes, which once looked at me with desire, were hard and filled with hate and sadness.

Curses fell from my mouth. The thought of her infuriated me. I hated her, but I couldn't help but remember some of the good times that we had together. It was ten years ago, but still, it was vivid in my mind. She and I were perfect until everything changed.

Dammit! What is wrong with me. She's just like her mother. A temptress. The name 'Angel' doesn't suit her.

I got out of the shower and changed into a long-sleeved shirt and sweatpants. I had a sandwich for dinner, then went to bed early. It had been a long time since I slept eight hours straight, and I was looking forward to it.

I lay on the bed, staring at the soft light of the old lamp that I put on top of the bedside table. The flame flickered, like magic. I watched as the orange flame cast shadows across the room until I fell asleep.

 I watched as the orange flame cast shadows across the room until I fell asleep

I woke up to the sound of an aggressive knock.

I sat up, waiting for the person to knock again. Perhaps I was dreaming. I checked the time on the wall clock. It was almost midnight.