Chapter 14 ~ Doggie Duty

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." -Ronald Reagan.

~~~~~

Lindsey's POV:

"Um, sweetie, where are your..."

"Emma! Emma! Where'd you go!" I heard a voice interrupting my last comment.

I turned around to see a boy around my age jogging to the little girl, which I now believe is Emma.

"Emma, you can't wander off like that. There's a bunch of people here." the teenage boy said.

"But I wanted to see the puppies!" she said, sadly.

"It's okay, now you can go look at the puppies, but don't leave the puppy section. I have to talk to this nice lady for a little bit, okay?" he said to her, and referencing me as the 'nice lady'.

Emma nodded and walked around to examine the puppies.

"Hey, I'm sorry about her. She loves puppies, and sometimes she runs off." he said to me and rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's no problem. And I can see that she really likes puppies." I said with a smile.

"Yea, she does. So, um..... Lindsey," he said, looking at my name tag, "I'm Dane, by the way. Can you help her to pick out a puppy? My parents sent me with her to pick one, and said they'd drive down after." he said to me.

"Of course! Are you guys looking for a big or small dog?" I asked.

"Um, either small or medium." he responded.

"Okay," I said.

I made my way over to Emma. "So Emma, what kind of puppies do you like?" I said, bending down to her level.

"I like all kinds of doggies, except for poodles." she said.

"Okay," I giggled, "so how about these Chihuahuas?" I asked her.

"No, I want one a little bigger." she said to me.

Wow, this girl really knows what she's looking for.

"I want one of those ones," she said, pointing to the pug puppies.

"Okay, let's go over there."

"Okay, you have to always hold the puppies with a towel." I said while placing a light pink towel into Emma's arms.

I turned around and reached into the crate. I picked up a puppy and turned back around.

"Okay, be very gentle with her," I said to Emma, as I put the pug puppy into the towel.

She nodded as a sign saying she would be careful. The puppy looked up at Emma started kissing her ferociously. Well, as ferocious as a puppy giving kisses would be.

"I love her! Dane, I want her!" she said to her big brother.

"Emma, are you sure you want a pug? They aren't the cutest." he said.

"I'll have you know, pugs are my favorite dogs." I said to him with a smirk. He made an 'oh, sorry' face and turned back to Emma.

"I am pos..positively sure that I want this puppy!" Emma said to Dane.

"Okay, I'll call mom and dad." he said to her.

"Yay!" she said as I took the puppy back and put her in one of those cardboard carrying boxes.

"Now, she is already spayed, but you will have to take her to the doctor every year as an annual checkup." I told them.

Emma's parents nodded, and her dad signed the papers that they had to. They then handed me the money, and I placed it into the cash drawer.