Chapter 14 - The Rules

"Ryder!" His smile was sinister as he stretched out his arms, almost as if they were long time friends. He looked exactly as I remember him, as handsome and as frightening as ever.

"Please, bring Ms. Daniella with, I'd love to speak with the both of you." He was practically shouting over the music. I could barely hear him but Nova gave him a short nod and squeezed my hand tighter, reminding me of his words.

Bradley turned on his heel, still smiling, when I noticed two large men standing beside him as they walked in unison. They all wore suits, similar to those you would find in a corporate office, and we all walked towards the bar in the back almost hidden behind the cage.

Bradley and his men made a quick turn behind the bar and disappeared through a dark black curtain. Behind the curtain was a long hall with fluorescent lights. Every couple of feet was a new door with a number on it. I counted to 8 when one of them opened, startling me, and watched as a man walked out, leaving the door open behind him. The man's hair was tousled messily, the tie he was wearing no longer tightened the way it should be, his shirt was unbuttoned and a woman laid on the bed behind him, completely naked.

I pushed away the thought of whatever it was they were doing in there before the door had opened. At the end of the hall there was a large red door with the word Connors in gold directly in the center. Bradley's men took their place on either side of the door as he opened the red frame. He was the first to step in, and then Nova quietly guided me in after him.

The office was nothing I had ever seen before. The entire back wall was of shelves of books. All of them resembled something you would find in the office of an attorney or judge. The desk sat in the middle of the room and two lounge chairs sat to the front of it. Off to one side was a pool table and to the other were a set of couches and a small bar with different bottles of alcohol on more shelves behind that.

Bradley took a seat in the chair behind his desk and gestured to the seats in front of him with a smile. The smile made my skin crawl as I waited for Nova to make the first move. I silently followed his lead as he sat down in one of the chairs.

"Nova, I forgot to tell you when Daniella and I first met that she is absolutely stunning." I cringed at his compliment as he looked over in Nova's direction. Nova said nothing back. When he said nothing, Bradley turned his gaze back over to me.

"Daniella, I hope you're finding this place to your liking." I looked over at Nova before answering. I took his slight tilt of the head as a nod of encouragement.

"It looks very..." I chose my words carefully, "...expensive." I finally said. Bradley slammed his hand down on the table and threw his head back to let out the loudest, exaggerated laugh I had ever heard.

"Well!" He said as his laugh died out, "I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it! Nova didn't tell me that he was inviting you over." He raised his eyebrow at me as if ready for a specific answer. Nova spoke before I could.

"It was a spur of the moment decision. I didn't think I was going to either until this morning." I stared at Nova for half a second before looking down at my hands in my lap. His lie sounded so convincing.

"Spur of the moment, hmm?" Bradley said grabbing a small decanter from the corner of his desk and poured the contents into a small cup that sat beside it. Nova gave him a hard nod.

"Well, Ryder." Bradley said after taking a sip of whatever it was he was drinking, "You know the rules. Looks that Daniella is now an official member of The Hit." I might have given myself whiplash from how quickly I snapped my head up to gawk at Bradley. His expression appeared as if he was satisfied to see the way I reacted.