Angel Eyes

"Anna! Wake up! My angel is here!"

"What?" I eased one eye open until I was squinting at my brother. I would have opened them farther, except I couldn't. He was shining a damn flashlight in my face.

I shooed my little brother away that night, barely even bothering to look. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made.

My mother had always been... "abusive", for lack of a better word. She would yell at us, demean us, there was never a shortage of nasty words. As far as verbal abuse goes, Mom was dead on. Physically is where the line gets blurry. She hit us, for sure. But the times she did were few and far between, and honestly didn't really hurt us. Mom's abuse was mostly mental.

The worst was the time Brian let the puppy out. He had just gotten the dog for his 7th birthday, we hadn't even had a chance to name it yet. He said he "thought it would be a good idea to let the puppy go exploring". The puppy was hit by a car almost instantly. Mom dragged Brian out to the curb and screamed at him to look at the dog, then threw him to the ground and left him sitting there, crying. She stormed upstairs and disappeared into her bedroom. Later, she came down dressed in her work clothes, ordered me to keep an eye on my brother, and informed me that she'd be working a double shift and wouldn't be home until the early morning hours. Then she drove off without saying another word to Brian.

I went out to him and asked him to come inside, offering him an ice cream from the freezer. He stared at the dead dog for another minute, gently crying and holding his scraped knee. Wordlessly, he came inside.

I couldn't get him to talk to me at all that night. He sat on the couch, blankly staring at the cartoons I had put on, and I eventually got bored watching him. I went to my room and talked on the phone with my friend Lisa for a good hour. By the time I came out, Brian wasn't on the couch anymore. After a minute of panicking and searching the downstairs rooms for him, I heard his voice.

Listening carefully, I realized it came from outside the house. He was sitting on the curb, next to the dog, looking up and to his right, as if he were speaking to someone slightly taller than him. Relieved, but still angry, I went out to him.

"Brian! What do you think you're doing???"

"Sorry... I saw... There was a lady next to the dog. She said she was an angel. She said she was helping him."

"You can't see angels. They aren't re-... They're invisible. They watch over us, but they're air colored."

"No they're not. They're white."

"Yeah, but they're invis... Ugh. Whatever. Just get inside, it's time for bed."

I got him in his pajamas, not bothering to make him brush his teeth or shower. I was only 13, I wasn't about to force him to do anything. Brian and I shared a room, which I hated. So I went to sleep in Mom's room until she got home. She got back at around 3am, and kicked me out of her bed. Sleepily, I crept down the hall to our room, when I heard Brian's voice.

"Is it beautiful there?"

I stopped dead in my tracks, and listened. I thought maybe he was using the phone, which he wasn't allowed to do so late at night. I also realized the light was on, it was shining out from under the door.

"It sounds really nice. But the puppy is dead. He's hurt really bad. How can he be happy? Won't he be sad forever?"

He paused.

"Oh. I get it. I guess. Can you tell me more stories about heaven, though?"

I listened for another 5 minutes, but he didn't say anything else. Eventually, the light turned off. I snuck into the room, quietly, to see that Brian was either already asleep or pretending to be.