30 | Raise A Glass

~All The Right Moves~~One Republic~

~One Republic~

It was January 21st and I could almost completely walk on my own. My incisions on my abdomen and back were irritating, but they were healing well. No extensive back movements or else I'd fall and probably not ever be able to get back up. I was supposed to walk on the treadmill and stretch out every day.

I got back home yesterday. Yes I still hated flying, even if Tony—once again it seemed— was pulling through with not allowing me to "be on a plane with so many people". Jets still made me sick to my stomach, but his thought of me really warmed my heart.

As soon as I was in my house, I was out like a light. I was on the couch trying to take off my shoes and I just fell asleep. It was almost the most peaceful sleep I'd had in ages. Almost.

I had nightmares every time I closed my eyes. I saw flashes of the place I was held, I saw flashes of myself bleeding everywhere, utterly helpless. I saw the grin on his face, repeating on a loop. But mostly...I would see wisps of a soft purple light, dancing around, echoes of words that were unintelligible, though trying to speak to me.

And then I would wake up. A terrible memory that haunted my dreams every night. It got old. Quickly.

Steve was always there when I woke up. He never knew about the nightmares, but he was there. It was relieving to know that. If ever I was in need of something, he was there.

Thank God for Steven Grant Rogers.

As I tied the laces of my maroon and white low top converse, he was going on about what he learned from Bruce about molecular engineering and how cool it was.

"Wow, Nat was right." I chuckled, standing from the couch, using the arm rest. He raised his chin and raised his eyebrows with curiosity as I walked over to him with my smile. "You are more than just a pretty face." I put my hands on his cheeks and chuckled at his deeply offended expression. I shook my head and pecked him on his lips. "Come on, let's go." I took his big hand in both of mine and tried to pull him off the arm of my couch the same way an impatient child would. I was halted by the grin on his face accompanied by a soft tug that pulled me into him. "What's the hurry?"

I smiled and looked him in those gorgeous blue eyes. "I would like to thank Tony for everything he's done." My voice was low before my face got closer to his. "Then I'll thank you when we get home." I said alluringly. His brows raised with surprise and then interest and I cracked a smile. "Now come on." I playfully whined, putting on a pout. "This was your idea."

He sighed, annoyed with himself for even suggesting anything. "It sure was." He said under his breath as he stood, closing the door behind himself.