PUP #13 Google's Trackers: YouTube

Oh, it was great when it started. The idea anyone could show the world their home movies (the original motto was 'broadcast yourself') caught on like wildfire when three guys launched their little website called YouTube.

Originally Paypal employees, Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim left to work on a video sharing website idea

Originally Paypal employees, Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim left to work on a video sharing website idea. Inspired by the lack of online movie clips of world events (like the Indian Ocean Tsunami, Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction during her performance at the 2004 Superbowl, and personal videos the trio were trying to share), they managed to get $11.5 million funding. They launched the website on Valentine's Day, 2005 as a beta, so that video geeks could play with it and report back any bugs to aid its development. The first ever YT video to appear was Jawed Karim's 19 second effort (Me at the zoo) where he observes that elephants have 'very long trunks'. It's still on there somewhere.

First ever YT video

First ever YT video

By November 2005, just five months later, a Nike advert, featuring soccer wizard Ronaldinho, was the first video to reach one million views. The site launched officially on December 15, 2005, by then receiving 8 million views a day. In July 2006 more than 65,000 new videos were being uploaded and 100 million videos viewed per day.

The Big G had to have this one. The ad potential and sheer volume of trackable users meant other rivals would be making bids. They reached right down to the bottom of their deep, deep pockets to pull out a $1.65 billion plum to buy it. They kept it the same for a while, with only two scripts needed to run the videos (youtube.com, ytimg.com) but gradually the interface shifted towards the advertiser. Videos couldn't be played unless users allowed a 30-second ad, which usually interrupted their enjoyment. This was a result of a deal between the Big G and the video maker, usually a multi-million selling record label's act, or popular videos with 100k+ views. The video maker got revenue from Adsense and other sweeteners, while the Big G collected user data of devoted fans and interested users, usually matching it with users of their other products like Gmail, Drive and Google Search. Building up these profiles helped Google to learn about their users' musical and video directions, which they could manage and manipulate for their advertisers. There were exceptions, like Radiohead and Taylor Swift, who wanted their works untainted by seedy commercialism, but usually, Google managed to convince most parties to take the money.