Chapter Fourteen: Discoveries are surprising

Back at home. My bed, my room, all of my other clothes. I was back home again. A sighed came out of my mouth. The surprise look on my friends' face hadn't left my mind. I wondered if they saw my letters to them already.

There's a knock on my door but I didn't say anything. After a short minute, it's gone. Mom or dad knew that if I didn't say anything, I didn't want to talk. So even if my door wasn't lock, they would leave me alone for some private time on my own. Until few hours later that was.

"Riley, what did you do again?" It's mom just outside my door.

"What?" I shouted.

"There's a call at the camp. Someone had reported you for spreading spoon to all of the cabins in there," she said.

They finally discovered it was me.

"It's just a small prank," I said.

"Someone tripped because of those spoon." She popped her head in with a raised eyebrow. "I should've known you're never going to learn anything to stop those pranks you're doing. It's a good thing that—"

"I am home now. What else do you want? You sent me there. They couldn't handle me. I still did all the things I could do. Now you took me back home. What now?" I said, interrupting her. She got in but stayed behind the door.

"There's something we have to tell you. It's not that good but it's not that bad, too. And we like you to just stay here for the summer," she said slowly.

"I'll be all alone this summer. So, can I go to the beach?" I asked.

"No any summer activity for you."

My mouth hung opened. "You're kidding," I said through gritted teeth.

"I am not. Why do you think we pull you out of the camp? To have your summer here? No. That's for you to stay at home and just relax."

I stood up, running a hand to my face. "It's freaking summer and you just want me to relax. What's wrong with you?"

"Tone, Riley. Tone," she warned.

"What do you want me to do? I can't just stay inside the house and see the others enjoying their summer break. For Pete's sake, I'm seventeen. Can't I have my life?"

"I'm sorry, sweetheart—"

"Don't sweetheart me, mom. I don't want any affection. I want freedom. I want to live like it's my last time. Can't you see? You're holding me too tight in the neck that's why I'm being reckless. You're not always there. You're not there to support me in any of my school activity and yet you care for what I'm going to do this summer. For crying out loud, give me freedom," I exclaimed.

She came closer; I stepped back. So she just stopped and just crossed her arms over her chest. "We just want what's best for you," she said, sounding concern.

"You don't know what's best for me, mom. You don't even know what's my favorite food." I shook my head and stared deeply in her eyes. "You know, you shouldn't have pulled me out of camp. I'm enjoying my stay there. But as always, whenever I was having the time of my life, you're going to be there to ruin it."

"You fainted, Riley. You fainted. And when we found out about it, we have to know if you're okay."

"I am okay."

"No, you're not," she blurted. There were tears settling on her eyes. "You're not okay and I'd rather you be here than there. At least we can take care of you."

"What do you mean I'm not okay?" I asked, confused.

"You might want to—"

"Fucking tell me already. I don't want to sit down," I shouted. "What is it? What's wrong with me?"

"You have a heart condition. It's called heart arrhythmia. Your condition's not that bad. It never showed up in a long time so we thought it's gone. But then we received a call and said you fainted. And I was so worried as your mother so I decided to get you back. At least here, someone will be able to look out for you," she explained. She was shaking. There's something else she was not saying to me.

"You should tell me everything already."

"I don't think you're ready for this."

"For fucking sake, mom. You're talking about my condition and you're telling me I'm not ready for it? Even so, you have to tell me."

"Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome, a type of arrhythmia. It was diagnosed to you when you were young. Rapid heartbeat—it's scary, you know. Then doctors said you're good. You're okay. It didn't require any medication because it depends on the things that the host was doing. We prevented you from doing very exhausting exercises when you were a kid. But because we're too busy, we forgotten about your condition."

"You forgotten about my condition? That's funny," I said sarcastically.

"Not exactly like that. But you're so energetic and no any history of it again, not until earlier. We have to get you checked first thing tomorrow."

"Whatever. I'm going to my room."

So, as I was staring at the ceiling of my room, I realized, I hadn't made the biggest prank ever. It wasn't like I was a huge prankster, but being the reckless girl I was, I wanted to make sure that I made a trademark with everyone who knew me and my actions.

I was thinking of calling someone at the camp too. Probably Mr. Donald, but then again, I didn't have their numbers. I wanted to talk to my friends and tell them that I was okay and that I would still keep in touch with them. They're the first ever true friends I had ever since and I couldn't afford to lose them. Maybe the week that I had stayed there wasn't enough to make sure that they were true friends, but still, they're my friends.

I could try later at eight since their phones would be with them. Who was I going to contact there then?

"Riley, honey?"

"What?"

"Do you want to go out? Hang out? Or..." If this was how mom and dad make it up to me for all those years they were busy with work, no, thank you very much.

"I think I'll pass," I answered. I turned my back on the door as it started opening.

"We'll grab something to eat. What do you want?" dad asked.

"Anything," was my weak answer.

I heard the door closed behind. I didn't want to be stuck here. I had to do something to go back at the camp. I wanted to be with them.

I opened my laptop that was resting on the bed side table. Immediately, Liana's pretty face popped on the screen with a message that said, You're back! Let's go to the beach!

I sighed, rolling my eyes. If I hadn't known her, I would've agreed. But she just wanted to go boy hunting. She didn't like being under that sun. She didn't like sun bathing. She didn't like going to the water. The only thing she liked was eyeing hot guys.

I replied,I already have plans. Maybe next time.

Aw, I miss you.

I miss you too.

That wasn't a lie. I kinda missed her, but I didn't exactly feel it. I may be thinking that I wanted her near because she's the only person who wanted to get along with me.

Losing friends was a natural thing with me already. That's why I never settled with having a circle of friend. They would all go and eventually leave me when they knew they wouldn't get anything from me. The two person I treated as best friends left me just because of some rumors that they thought I was the one spread out. I didn't.

My phone started vibrating. It was an unknown number so I ignored it. I always ignore those unknown numbers. If they wanted me to answer them, they had to be really close with me or just text me that they were calling.

A text arrived after five minutes.