Act III

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

28    INT. ODO'S OFFICE.

ODO is working at his desk, as usual when SISKO ENTERS through the doors from the promenade.

SISKO

Odo, have you found anything?

ODO

I've talked to just about everyone, checked all the passenger logs, all subspace communications, and nothing has turned up yet, Commander.

Sisko paces around the room, looking very frustrated.

SISKO (sadly)

Do you want to know the truth?

ODO

You're worried.

SISKO (frustrated)

A little, about Jake. I need some answers, and soon.

ODO

I can assure you, all my officers are doing the best they can.

Sisko smiles a little after hearing Odo's reassurance.

SISKO

I have absolutely no doubts about their abilities.

Suddenly the doors open and QUARK ENTERS, looking angry.  He notices Sisko and acknowledges his presence by nodding.

QUARK

Commander... I'm glad the two of you are here.

SISKO

What's the problem now, Quark?

QUARK

My nephew Nog has been missing, and I demand to have him returned at once.

ODO (to Quark)

If you'd be more cooperative, maybe I'll be able to find him sooner.

SISKO

Quark, my son Jake is missing  too. I'm sure the Constable will see to it that all efforts be made in returning them safely.

QUARK (to Sisko)

Ah, that explains it. Your son is always getting Nog into trouble. And who will pay for my losses? Nog has been missing his work shifts, there is substantial loss to be accounted for.

Sisko shakes his head in disbelief of Quark's attitude towards Nog's disappearance.

ODO (sarcastically)

Wouldn't that be a perfect excuse to cut his wage... Quark realizes Odo's insult and tries to speak more convincingly.

QUARK (sarcastically)

That's easy for you to say. And my emotional damage, my favorite nephew, I have always loved and cared so much for him...

SISKO

That's quite enough Quark.

(to Odo)

Odo, the Chief and I examined the anomaly. We have determined that it is possible that it was created by artificial means.

QUARK

What anomaly?  Why wasn't I informed of this earlier? Have you began investigating this anomaly?

ODO

Maybe your beloved nephew would know something about this.

Quark finally quiets down.