Caramel

Entering the venue, I had a smile on my lips but my heart was pattering with anxiety. Often, my anxiety doesn't require a reason to be present, but today, today there were many reasons. 

First, it was my best friend's wedding and I had taken on the responsibility of making sure it was perfect for him. He has dreamt of this big day since the day he figured out his sexuality, it means a lot to him.  Secondly, I would be meeting a special person I haven't seen in two years: Atlas. The man who used to be my nineteen year old obsession. 

Lastly, Deimos was invited. I signed the contract just days ago, but this event was the last where we would not have to be seen together. In other words, these were our last couple days of freedom, before we became bound to each other. 

The Devil himself never fails to make me nervous, but the fact that he may be bringing a plus one makes my heart throb in ways that leaves me confused. I'm not one to openly feel, so when I do, I am left scared of my own heart. 

I sweep into the main spot of the wedding in my mauve dress, my gold heels transitioning from tapping on hard marble to the soft ground of the courtyard. The wedding is an outside venue, on a vast grassy hill, with lantern lights hung from multiple white gazebos. It was truly magical, nothing less than a dream. 

My hair falls off my shoulders, I left it down even though Leon said most people put their hair up for events like weddings. I don't like to put my hair up; it leaves me feeling exposed and nearly vulnerable. 

I look around to see most of the guests already here, laughing and drinking their champagne. I purse my lips, looking for anyone to approach, feeling uncomfortable standing on my own in the open. Glancing down at myself, I appreciate the way the stunning dress cinches around my waist, creating an illusion of it being smaller than it is, and how the dress elegantly flows out. 

It has a sweetheart neckline, extenuating my chest, which is the only place I seem to lack fat in. Thanks for the genes, mom. 

I take tentative steps towards all the people, swallowing down my anxiety. Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I see everyone is already invested in other conversations, so I reach inside my clutch for my phone, to scroll through the guest list Leon texted me the other day, just to see what my options were. But I don't get to, because a warm hand lands on my shoulder. 

"Aurora?" I snap my clutch closed. My jaw clenching as I recognize the voice. A very familiar one, but unfamiliar all the same. The whole world seems to freeze, a thousand memories flowing back into my mind. Painfully. 

Turning around, I look up to make eye contact with him. His sandy, blonde hair is swooped with gel, and his grey-blue eyes run over me, as if he can't believe I'm standing in front of him. He's as handsome as I remembered him, but now, maybe even a little more. 

"Atlas," I whispered, my eyes taking him all in. The grey suit he is wearing extenuates his physique and makes his eyes pop. 

"How've you been, Ace?" My heart gets caught in my throat as I hear him call me the old nickname he gave me years ago. Atlas' eyes start to twinkle, losing their foreign seriousness, and a smile grows on his lips, exposing his pearly whites. 

"I-" Before I get to finish my sentence, another hand grabs my arm, dragging me away from Atlas and into the crowd of people. I look back at Atlas, to see him still staring at me. 

Whipping around furiously, my raging eyes are met with the eyes of a worker in the venue. He flinches back in fear, sensing my anger. 

"What is it?" I snap, my emotions still a mess after my brief conversation with Atlas.