Chapter 4 - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

POV = Ambrose

It was just before 4am when I woke up in a jolt yet again from another nightmare. Although Lilly survived this one, Dalgliesh had kidnapped her and was holding her prisoner. I woke at the point where he was about to physically force himself one her. My whole body was tense and I noticed that my fists were clenched tight. I punched the pillow.

I knew there was no way I'd get back to sleep, so I got up, showered and got myself dressed for the day. Karim wasn't lurking in my kitchen this time as I'd ordered him to get a good night's sleep so that he was fully alert for Mr Linton's return to the office. Well, one of us had to be!

I decided to go into my office and check over the extra security plans that Karim and I had made yesterday. He had once again urged me to tell my secretary about our meeting with Dalgliesh. I am still considering what to do about that particular situation. He was right about not pushing her away any more. I had a much better chance of keeping her safe if she was close to me and I decided that it was time to properly apologise for being so distant and grumpy. Once that was out of the way, I could decided whether to tell her about Dalgliesh's threats.

At 5.30am I heard the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs towards my office. I wasn't worried. I knew exactly who it would be. 74 seconds later, my office door swung open.

"Sahib. Hard at work already? How much sleep did you get last night?"

There was no point in lying to Karim, especially after the talk we had yesterday morning.

"3 hours maybe."

"And... was there a ...?"

"Yes Karim. Not as bad as yesterday, but still..."

"I understand Sahib."

It was then that I realised his arms were full.

"Are those the item I asked you to get?"

"Yes Sahib, though I'm not sure why you need such a large box."

"I have my reasons. Put them on the couch for now and then come and sit down."

He did as I requested and then sat in the visitor's chair opposite me.

"So, let me hear your report. Did our men keep a close watch on Mr Linton yesterday?"

"Yes Sahib. The Ifrit met her friends from the party in Green Park at midday. Then they all walked over to Kensington Palace through Hyde Park with many other women to take part in a march."

"A march? Don't tell me..."

"Yes, it was a feminist march demanding that women are allowed to vote, Sahib."

"Continue."

"Well there were many, many people there, including some men, so our men were able to blend in with the crowd and keep a close eye on the Ifrit."

"Excellent Karim. Anything suspicious happen?"

"Not really. They marched around the perimeter of the park before gathering again near Speaker's Corner. Ifrit and her friends sat on the grass chatting. An elderly lady approached them at one point and chatted for a few minutes."

"Did she appear genuine?"

"After she left them, Bates followed her out of the Marble Arch exit. She was observed getting into a small carriage without talking to anyone else. He tailed her and she went to a house in the southwest of the city near Wimbledon Common."

"Did anyone else talk to her or did they see anyone watching her?"

"Apart from the elderly lady, no Sahib."