Chapter 8 - An Unusual Conversation

POV = Karim

It was almost time. Time to escort the woman worse than an ifrit home from Empire House. Although I had volunteered for the mission, I was not entirely comfortable with it ... but I had an ulterior motive.

I had recently had a lengthy discussion with my Sahib - Mr Rikkard Ambrose - about the security threats that we had received from Lord Dalgliesh. It was a great honour to be taken into Sahib's confidence as he is a very private man, like myself. He is a strong and honourable man whom I respect more than anyone else, but I have been worried about him lately ... and I hope he will forgive me if he ever finds out what I am about to do.

I had just enough time to do one more patrol up Leadenhall Street and discreetly check for activity in the headquarters of the East India Company. I double checked that my pistol was loaded and returned my newly polished sabre to its resting place at my hip. Time to go.

Seven minutes later I was back in the main lobby of Empire House. Most of the staff had already left for the day, but Sahib's secretary is always one of the last to leave. I heard footsteps descending the stairs - it's ifrit time.

"Karim, this really isn't necessary you know." She had that defiant look on her face, like a small child refusing to eat their sprouts at dinnertime.

"Sahib's orders. He explained to situation to you, yes?"

"Yes he did, but ..."

"Then come. Do not waste time."

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but this ... this creature scares me. Not physically, but there's something about her. I still have nightmares remembering her antics - and lack of clothing - in the jungle. But she seems to have achieved the impossible - she has captured Sahib's heart. I have known him for many years, but no-one - especially a woman - has ever treated or affected him the way she does. She is important to him, so it is my duty to protect her as well as him.

I marched out of Empire House back into Leadenhall Street. After just 20 yards I realised that no-one was behind me, so I stopped and turned around. The ifrit was only just emerging from the front entrance, much to my annoyance.

"I do not have all day. Move it!"

"How long do you think my legs are, you turbaned daddy long-legs?!" she snapped back.

"I have no interest in any parts of your body, Ifrit."

"Well if you continue striding off like that, then you're going to be pretty inadequate as my security! I don't think your Sahib would be very happy about that, do you?"

Why, oh why did I think that this was a good idea?! That ... that creature made my blood pressure rise far quicker than I was happy about. I took a deep breath and clasped my hand around the hilt of my sabre. If only ...

"I will walk slower, but you must walk faster too. Sahib needs the information as quickly as possible." She rolled her eyes at me before muttering an affirmative reply.

We walked in silence for a few minutes. We were now well away from Leadenhall Street and I needed to talk to the ifrit ... but I didn't know how to begin. Starting conversations is not in my job description. I went to say something ... but coughed instead. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. I tried again;

"{cough} Ifrit ..." I didn't know what to say next.

"Karim." She looked at me suspiciously.

"Erm ..." I decided it was now or never, "Sahib ... er ... he did not ask me to escort you home tonight."

"Excuse me?" I hope Allah was looking after me because that ifrit fire lit up her eyes. 

"No ... er ... it was my idea. I ... er ... volunteered."