Chapter Ten

Katie didn't mind driving, but she always enjoyed it when Evan drove. He was such a steady driver and she loved to look out the window. He told her that was the writer in her looking for inspiration at every turn. She smiled, the car window down and the breeze in her hair. He said he had a surprise for her, but refused to tell her what it was.

"Are we there yet?" she asked, pestering him.

"Almost," he said, his smile widening. "You're lucky your cute, Katie. Your constant desire to know how close in proximity we are to our destination can be a bit infuriating."

"Well!" She exclaimed. A chuckle left her. "Did we brush up on our vocabulary overnight?"

"I'm in love with a writer. How else am I supposed to swoon you?"

"Say onomatopoeia and my pants might fall off on the spot," Katie said, causing him to burst out laughing.

"I'll have to remember that," he snickered. "Well. Here we are." He parked along the sidewalk.

"The park?" Katie asked, tilting her head. "What are we doing here?"

"You'll see." He came over and opened her door. She got out and pretended to curtsy. She giggled. "So damn cute," he said pinning her up against the car. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Hopefully kiss me."

He smiled, brushed her cheek with his hand and kissed her. His lips on hers were intoxicating. His tongue brushed hers and she felt her grip on him grow tighter, pulling him closer to her. He pulled away and smiled at her.

"Come on." He said, grabbing her hand. He led her around the lake to a large grassy area. He outstretched his hands. "Here we are!"

"Oh!" Katie looked around. She was confused. Was it just that it was a pretty area? As she stared in confusion, looking for the reason he brought her here he dug something out of the bushes nearby. He shook out a blanket and laid it on the ground. He then pulled out a basket and set it on the blanket. Her heart instantly warmed and she felt her smile grow to what felt like larger than her face. She ran over and jumped into his arms. He spun her around, before setting her down. "This is so romantic," she squealed.

"So, you like it?" He asked, his smile wide.

"Yes. I love it."

He sat down on the blanket. Holding a hand out to help her sit. She held her skirt with her other hand and sat down beside him. He opened the basket and handed her a soda, grabbing one for himself. "I hope sandwiches are okay," he said, handing her a sandwich in a Ziploc bag.

"It's perfect. All of this. It's perfect."

"Well when you have the perfect girlfriend, you have to step up the game." He said leaning over and kissing her cheek.

"Do you think I'm perfect even when I stuff my face?" Her voice muffled from the sandwich in her mouth. He laughed.

"For some reason yes, I do, you big dork."

She swallowed her bite and laughed. Suddenly, guilt overcame her. "Evan I've kept something from you," she said looking away.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Well you know how I've been walking Christian to class?"

"Yeah," he replied with a nod.

"Well the first day Daves and his friends." She paused and felt her cheeks become warm.

"What? What did they do?" He asked, his eyes filled with concern. He placed a hand on her knee. "Tell me."

"They harassed me," she explained. "They grabbed me and held me and touched my leg and-."

"What!" Evan roared. "I'm going to kill them."

"No. No, it's okay. This was weeks ago and nothing's happened since. Christian got me away from them."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was embarrassed. I thought it was my fault for wearing so many skirts or something."

"Of course, it's not your fault," he said pulling her over to him. "If they bother you again you tell me. I may just be an artist, but no one messes with my Katie."

She smiled and kissed his cheek. He leaned down and kissed her lips. She felt him lowering her down onto the blanket, hovered over her as he kissed her. He gazed down at her and smiled. Stroking her hair. She felt her heart beat steadily.

"I love you so much," Katie said, looking up at him.

"Yeah. I love you too, you're my one and only Katie. I can't wait to one day marry you."

"Aw. Evan," she exclaimed sitting up. "That's so sweet."

"Well that's me," he said biting his lip. "Your sweet and devilishly handsome boyfriend."

"Got that right," she said laughing.