Chapter TwentyFour

Chapter 24

Nicolai Firenze

“I want you to gather the best trackers out there and look for your Luna and Ella,” I ordered the patrol wolves before dismissing them. Four stayed, carrying the unconscious Alpha and Beta.

“Take them back to the pack house and restrain them,” their eyebrows rose in question. They were trained to serve and protect their Alpha and Beta, not to knock them out and restrain them. “Just do it! We do not want two angry wolves attacking the innocent pack members now, do we?”

They shook their heads and carried them back to the pack house. “Nicolai,” another patrol wolf called, rushing towards me. “The Baines… They’re planning an attack. We need to warn the pack members to stay alert. They are not moving in yet, but I fear that they will as soon.”

“Warn the other patrol wolves. I will warn the pack members,” I balled my hands into fists, feeling all the frustration and anger build up. Arabella sure did choose the wrong time to disappear. Damn it.

She will be found,’ encouraged my wolf as he resurfaced.

“Listen up,” I hollered as soon as I entered the pack house. “I want all of the men and boys who are of age to train and fight to meet me in the meeting hall within five minutes.”

“A tranquilizer, sir?” One doctor popped into view and stared at me with disbelief.

“What would you have done to calm two raging wolves? An Alpha and Beta?” I snapped, turning on my heels and heading down the meeting hall.

Once I stepped in, I was greeted with numerous questioning glances and worried faces. I motioned for everyone to settle down and spoke, “There has been an unfortunate incident. Ella Grant and your Luna are both….” I paused, trying to look for the right word. “Missing. A patrol wolf has reported that Baine will be moving in soon and will be back for another attack. Our Alpha and Beta, having to have lost their mates, may be unstable. I will be leading the pack in their absences. Trainings will be more rigorous and harsh. We will also try to be more alert, in case of a surprise attack. I want everyone to be prepared. The younger warriors will be in charge of protecting the women and-“

“I don’t know if you’d seen it, but our women can fight too, sir. Everyone in this pack is trained, that’s how our former Alpha wanted it to be,” a lanky boy interrupted, while raising his hand.

“Perhaps I should’ve invited them over too,” I said to myself, looking at the boy fidget in the corner.

“I would like to fight,” he looked me in the eyes, with determination and bravery. The same determined look David gave me when he talked about his dreams of becoming an Alpha. “They took my papa away. You need to let me fight!” he protested, earning the support of many other boys as they joined in.

“Silence!” I growled, making them cower in fear. “I will think this over. Right now, I want you to inform everyone of the impending attack. Get ready and train harder. Everyone is dismissed.”

“Many of our women are trained, sir. Many have even managed to surpass the men,” the boy passed by me, sending me a pleading look. “Please think about it.”

“How are the Alpha and Beta faring?” I asked the doctor who was in charge of them.

“They’re beginning to stir. Give it a few more hours and they will awake. They both have really strong Alpha and Beta blood, so tranquilizers have a really short effect on them.”