Inspiration

Even though many people start writing when inspiration hits them, most of them aren't successful writers. I am strongly against using clichés, but I'm going to use one right now: "Writing is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration." Why did I use this cliché? Because it is exactly what many people keep forgetting when they want to write a book.

Inspiration is wonderful and can help you write, but most of the words in your novel will be there because you sat down by the computer when you didn't have inspiration but only determination to help you.

There is an exception, though: before you start writing inspiration is definitely necessary. You need to come up with some kind of creative idea after all. In this chapter I am going to name a lot of genres and themes to help you get the inspiration you need. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, it will only help you to become a better writer.

Let's start with a very important choice you have to make: are you going to write something non-fictional, or will create a fictional story?

Don't disregard non-fiction right away. Writing a story about your own life, or the life of someone you know can be good practice and a lot of fun. You can even spice it up with a little bit of fiction. Dramatize your day, or throw in a dragon. You can also write a book about a subject you care about a lot like singing or sports.

Most people will probably choose fiction. You could start by looking at your own books. What genres do they fit into, and what genres are your favorites. And even more important: why? Take a good look at the genres I have listed below, and maybe a good plot idea will pop up.

GENRES
> action
> adventure
> comedy
> fantasy
> historical
> horror
> mystery
> poetry
> romance
> science fiction
> thriller
> tragedy
etc.

Genres can be split up into themes that make coming up with a plot even easier. You can choose one, mix them up, or create a completely new theme.

ACTION
> organization vs. organization
> man vs. world
> country vs. country
> assassins
> secret agents
etc.

ADVENTURE
> going on a quest
> exploring a new world
> good vs. evil
etc.

FANTASY
> vampires
> werewolves
> witches
> angels
> demons
> zombies
> heaven and hell
> self-created world
> elves
> goblins
> giants
> gnomes
> dragons
> self-created creatures
etc.

HISTORICAL
> hunters and gatherers
> ancient civilization
> dark ages
> aristocratic Europe
> wild west
> (world) wars
etc.

HORROR
> human serial killer
> supernatural killer
> gory
> bloodcurdling
etc.

MYSTERY
> detective
> unexplainable occurrences
> missing person
etc.

ROMANCE
> opposites attract
> star-crossed lovers
> two people pulled together by destiny
> getting out of the friend zone
> damsel in distress
etc.

SCIENCE FICTION
> apocalyptic
> time travel
> space
> future
> robots
> computer/robot domination
> alien invasion
> extraordinary invention (science)
etc.

Another important factor you can think about to give you inspiration is the audience that you want to attract. Do you want to write for children, teens or adults? Males? Females? Both genders? The audience you want to write for doesn't just affect the genres and themes, but also the words you use while writing.