Survival of the Fittest Challenge #3

It was a nice day for picnic. Mike had never gone on one before so Ben volunteered to take him. Mike couldn't turn it down either- not when the concert incident happened last week. It was a sunny day- the kind where there were no clouds in sight- and the park was empty save for a few people milling around. Mike unrolled the picnic blanket and set it on the ground. Ben followed closely behind with the basket which Mike kept eyeing.

"So what exactly did you pack in there?" he asked.

Ben shrugged. "Ham, fruit, water, and a board game."

Mike raised an eyebrow. "Board games? What are we an elderly couple?"

"I mean...sometimes you act like it."

Mike rolled his eyes and plopped down on the blanket. Ben pulled out the food and set it down in between them. He was about to eat a slice of ham when a cat with a pink collar walked towards them. Ben put the slice down on a plate. "Aw...Mike look! It's a cute cat."

"I see it," Mike said. It was cute, but Mike didn't want to get too near it. He wasn't very fond of animals. Ben picked it up and started petting it.

"It's fluffy too!" he exclaimed.

"Okay fine it is cute," Mike admitted. He still didn't touch it.

Ben set the cat on Mike. "There, now pet it."

Mike slowly stroked the cat while Ben retrieved his piece of ham. He was about to take a bite when the cat(whose name they found was Milly) jumped off of Mike and pounced on Ben. He yelped and tried to shove Milly off of him. It didn't work. Milly used her claws to dig into Ben's shirt; tearing two big holes in the fabric.

"Mike get this thing off of me!"

Mike grabbed a bottle of water from the picnic basket and started hitting Milly with it- trying to dislodge the cat's claws. When that didn't work, he opened it up. The intention was to distract the cat long enough that Ben could get it off of him. Ben's eyes widened when he saw the water, though.

"Mike don't-" Milly's hissing drowned out the rest of the statement. Ben spit out some of the water and winced as the cat dug in deeper. "Cats don't like water," he finished.

"Well obviously," Mike said. He dug around in the basket to look for something else. He only turned around when Ben yelped again. Milly the cat had started biting now. That wasn't a good sign. Mike pulled out the board game and tried to wedge it between the claws and Ben's shirt. When that didn't work he used it to obstruct Milly's vision. Milly thwacked her head against the board and ripped a hole through it. Now with a square of cardboard framing her head, she continued to bite, starting to rip skin.

By this point, Ben and Milly had gotten off the blanket and on the grass. It was a serious situation but Mike had to hold in a laugh at his best friend rolling around with a cat ruining his clothes. "MIKE!" Ben screeched and swatted at Milly.

Mike had to detain that cat. But how? That's when he saw the blanket he was sitting on. Maybe, just maybe, if he put Milly into a chokehold he could knock her unconscious. If he couldn't, then Ben could die. He leaped off the blanket and fashioned it into a rope of sorts. Then he jumped on the writhing duo, twisted the blanket around the cat's neck, and pulled.