Part 14:

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase

-Martin Luther King Jr

He himself in all his flesh and blood stood at her door, leaning over a tree trunk with his eternal, exasperating smirk.

For a moment or so they stood there looking at each other. Neither saying a word and while Devika did not know what to say, her husband was contemplating how to!
But soon enough Devika returned to her true mind, reminding herself how he had made her feel like a shabby insubstantial woman over and over again while he used her worse than an article. And now that her use was over, he had tossed her aside with no life line whatsoever!
'what are you doing here?' the words were on the tip of her tongue but she decided better than that and slammed the rickety wooden door hard on his face. Now THAT she hoped was a very clear message to leave her alone but then she barely knew this man!

He didn't feel humiliated when she thrust the door close on his face, not one bit because he knew very well that he deserved it. "Devika open the door!" He patiently knocked twice. "come-on open this door and listen what I have to say." he knocked again.

"Devika! Damn you , open this door! I know you are in there." By the third series of knocks on the closed entrance his patience was already wearing thin.

"Devika, I am giving you one last chance to open this door....or I swear, I will...." He stopped short of his threatening when he heard those gut wrenching low sounds of her weeping. He cursed himself again and again for doing this to her. 'Damn! He should have never married her! She didn't deserve all this!' closing his eyes in expiration, he ran a hand through his messy locks.

"Or you swear....you will do what? Huh? Leave me again?" It was a low murmur but he heard it anyway and felt his chest being torn open and the insides being squeezed. It was voraciously excruciating to hear those words.

"open the door please!" He demanded all vulnerable. "We need to talk."

"No! we don't! There's nought to talk about anymore." she wiped clean her cheeks, leaning her body on the wall behind.

"I am sorry, I am so-so sorry Devika please listen to me once." He demanded again only to be refused instantly. "Sorry? Sorry about what? That you married me? Or that you tried to exploit me? Or now that my purpose in your life is over, you discarded me? Huh? What exactly are you apologizing for?"

Listening to her words then, another realization dawned upon him. She was hurting! And she was hurting bad! And he needs to stop this now! But for that he would have to get rid of this damned door first that was separating them from one another.

"You are not going to open this door, are you?" He asked for one last time.

"No!" She replied straight away. "And you must leave now, I don't want to see you face ever again."

"Now you shouldn't have said that darling because I promise, I will be the only man who's face you will see, watch, behold and appreciate every day and night for the rest of your life." With his characteristic cocky defiance, he angled his shoulder along the door frame and hit it with as much force as he could gather. Twice, and the rickety creaking door already gave away, leading him into a narrow, dust laden dark room.

"God! Come here now, so that we can talk and then get you out of here for once and for all." He trudged towards the furthest corner where her silhouette was bunched up like a ball. She flinched away further, watching him approach her. "Get out! I told you....I don't want to see your face ever again." She fiercely thrust her chin up to look into his eyes and that's where it all went wrong.

Her cheeks were softly cupped by a pair of rugged palms while the two hauntingly familiar grayish stormy eyes peered into her depths. She had expected him to be angry and shout at her and threaten her like men usually do even if they are the one at fault, or at least that's what her father does. But instead found softness and sorrow in those pair of orbs undergoing a loud thunderstorm or at least they seemed so.

She could lash back, snap at him and fight him off had there been anger but how is she supposed to fight something so handsome? How is she supposed to deny an apology so sincere? And ignore the tenderness that she hadn't seen anywhere before? The temptation was overwhelming to give in, right then. To succumb into his stretched arms, portraying those taut muscles that had once....
'No!' She looked away as soon as she noticed the re-emerging smirk on her husband's face. 'He may go to hell.' She repeated in her mind. 'I have nothing to do with him anymore.' Because at the end of it all there was still a chance that he is yet again playing some under-handed games using her.

"Alright! Since you had already came in....sorry my bad....since you already barged in....you may say whatever you want to and leave!" She gritted out.

And a moment later, he did open his mouth only to capture her's in a toe tingling sensational kiss, kneeling on the murky floor. She didn't oppose and he didn't stop until they were both out of breath. Panting from the lack of air he grasped her shoulder and pinned her to his chest, in an unspoken attempt to show her what effect she has on him, thinking that his erratically loud beating heart was a testimony enough!

And it was the truth! He hadn't slept a wink last night thinking about her and now that she was right in front of him , he was reassuring himself by that kiss that she was his and his alone!

"Come with me, come with me my love and I promise I wouldn't let you cry again."

Devika thought she was being delusional and imagining scenarios that are potentially impossible to occur but then as she said earlier, she barely knew this man and his surprising tendencies. "But I am not going back to that forest!" It was supposed to be a statement in her mind but it came out loud anyway making her husband chuckle, "No, No forest again I promise. We are going back to the palace of Maniteek."