Chapter 17: "Admit it!"

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

I immediately shoot up; eyes widening, heart beating a million miles an hour.

"Wake up, Sophie!" Bree shouts at the foot of my bed, banging on the bottom of a pan with a metal spoon.

"What the hell, Bree! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" I scream angrily as I clutch my chest. I slip on my glasses and glare at her as she laughs loudly while I take in a deep breath to calm down.

"Come on, Sophie. I cooked some breakfast, because I'm an amazing friend, and made coffee for you, but I don't think you'll be needing that cup of coffee anymore," she says in between her laughs as she clutches onto her stomach.

"Thanks, Bree," I shake my head as a grin tugs at my lips. "But why couldn't you have woken me up by shaking my shoulder like a normal person?"

"Why not spice things up once in a while?" She winks with a big smile before leaving my room. I put in my contacts and grab my phone before heading downstairs.

As I enter the kitchen, I glance down at my phone to see what new notifications I received. I scroll down and my heart starts to pick up speed again as I read the last text I received.

Goodnight Shortcake :)

A smile and blush creep onto my face and I continue to stare at the words for a couple seconds before Bree snaps me back into reality.

"What are you looking at Sophie? You look like you've won the lottery or something," she chuckles.

"It's nothing," I say, a smile lingering on my lips. I put my phone face down onto the table and take a seat as the delicious aromas greet me. Mmm. Bree eyes me suspiciously and continues to press into the matter.

"I know it's something. You don't just smile widely at something random. What is it? Tell me, tell me, tell me!" She pesters, poking me in the arm. I continue to keep my mouth shut while showing a cheesy grin and take a bite of some scrambled eggs.

"Fine, you leave me no choice." In an instant, she snatches my phone and runs out of the kitchen.

"Bree!" I muffle, mouth filled with eggs. My fork clatters against my plate as I drop it and chase after Bree up the stairs. She runs into my room, slamming the door behind her. I twist the doorknob, but it doesn't budge.

"Bree, unlock the door!" I yell as I pound repeatedly on the door. A few moments pass and silence hangs within the house. Then, I hear a soft click and the door opens.

I face a widely grinning Bree with her mouth hung wide open. I pluck the phone out of her hands and quickly run down the stairs to finish my breakfast. Bree quickly trails behind and sits back down at the table across from me.

"Admit it, Soph. You like Andrew!" She squeals with a cheesy smile.

"No, I don't," I say as I shovel the last of the eggs in my mouth before picking up my plate and walk to the sink.

"Oh my gosh, you do! Don't lie to me. I saw those flirty messages you two sent each other." I shake my head and a small smile forms on my lips. "You're even blushing about it! If I said this when school first started, you would've looked at me with disgust at the mere mention of his name and now look at you!"