36 ~ Daddy Connor

"You're staring at me as if I'm dying," Gavin said to Elizabeth. "Don't worry, it'll only leave a bruise."

"If I didn't get you guys involved, this wouldn't have happened," Elizabeth looked down.

"If you didn't get us involved, that guy wouldn't have learned his lesson," Gavin said. "Turns out he tried to assault someone just last month. He'll definitely get what he deserves."

Elizabeth examined his arm, tracing the outline of his bruise, "This isn't what you deserve."

"What's a little bruise at the cost of people seeing you for what you're worth," Gavin said.

Elizabeth furrowed her eyebrows, "And what exactly am I worth?"

"Infinitely more than that thing you called a fish net earlier, that's for sure."

A slow smile stretched across her face, "Thank you."

"Uh... Sure," Gavin said, taken aback by the warmth in her expression.

"Yo! You guys done, I have to set my food down!" Jacque said, trying to keep everything balanced.

Connor trailed behind her, casually walking with his hands in his pocket.

"Did you lose your hands in that jacket or are you just an idiot that can't register the person stumbling right in front of you?" Elizabeth said to Connor.

"Lizzie, it's not his fault. Like hell I'd trust anyone to put their hands on my food," Jacque said laying the trays on the table.

"Y-You mean all that food's for you?" Gavin looked at the arrangement of trays scattered on the table.

"Don't judge. We're paying," Jacque said, eagerly putting food on her plate.

"The rest of ours aren't ready yet. She kept the kitchen quite busy with her order," Connor said.

"Sorry not sorry," Jacque said before digging her face into her burger.

***

"Thanks for today, guys!" Jacque said and nudged Elizabeth.

"Uh... yeah. Thanks, Connor... And snoot."

"No problem, Jacque. Though, I can't say the same about..." Gavin glanced at Elizabeth.

"Call us if you guys get anything, alright?" Connor told them.

"Thanks," Elizabeth said. "And Connor..."

"Hm?"

"You and Zai belong together," she whispered in his ear. "Don't be a dumb ass and cuff her already."

He nodded and gave her a hug, "Thank you."

Connor started the motorcycle and checked the time. It was 6:30 pm, half an hour left before Lilia makes dinner. Because of work, the Tsangs always had dinner late. This way, the family could eat together peacefully after a difficult day.

Before he started his motorcycle, he looked to his left to see Gavin, setting his navigation to the place where the Tsangs were staying. Determined to beat him out, he quickly drove out of the school. Exchanging death glares as their vehicles were stopped right next to each other at a red light, they speedily raced off once the green light blinked.

They both arrived at the same time, parking in front of the driveway and running to the front door. Macy answered the door, finding herself overwhelmed by the two skyscrapers standing before her.

"Zai? Did you order McDonalds?" Macy asked.

"No," Zailey said with a hoarse voice. "Close the door! It's cold."