Opening Paragraph & Chapter

This chapter won't be covering the opening line since that's covered in a separate chapter. I highly recommend reading that chapter along with this one, though, because it's part of the first-paragraph process, and there are similar concepts.

KEEP IT SHORT

Studies show that readers get a much better feeling about a book if the first paragraph is short. Makes them feel as if the read will be easier and it will move quickly. So whatever you do with your opening paragraph, make it quick.

HOOK THE READERS

The first paragraph has to have at least one big hook in it. Optimally, the first line will contain it, but that's not always possible or required.

So what you want to do is think of the most intriguing and important parts of your story and your main character. List them out in those three categories.

Now, mark off the things you absolutely cannot reveal about your story at the beginning.

Then mark off the items that simply will not work in the intro.

Next, rate the most intriguing things from what's left on the list from 1 to 10 (or put them in order of most intriguing to least intriguing).

Now that you have your list narrowed down, pick the item or items that work best for really hooking the readers, and figure out a way to work those items into the first paragraph, but do it with very few words.

Those are your hooks. Now let's see how to use them.

INTERESTING ACTION OR INFORMATION

The first rule is to make sure whatever action your character is performing is interesting. Or if you're going to introduce your character with information about him or her, make sure it's interesting.

If it's an action, we'll discuss how to do that soon. If it's information about the character, you want it to be information from your list of hooks.

But don't just say it. Show it. Show the information in some way. Convey it with certain actions and body language. If the character is a cop, show him investigating someone or saving a little kid or something else that relates to the fact that he's a cop. If he's a serial killer, show him stalking or killing someone. Show his personality rather than telling it.

If you can choose some action or information that sort of sums up the essence of the story, that's great. That's what you're really shooting for. It's like a preview of things to come. But not everyone's story allows for that.

INTRODUCE CHARACTER AND CONFLICT

As mentioned above, when you introduce the character, you want them to be doing something that sums up an important aspect of who they are so the reader really gets a good impression of them right away. That way, they'll want to take the journey with them.

If you can do that while introducing the main conflict or at least the essence of the book, do it. That's like a double hook.

ACTIVE CHARACTER (NOT PASSIVE)

Readers generally are more drawn to characters who take action rather than letting their situation dictate their moves.

If the character is the one driving the story with his or her actions and choices, the story is character-driven. If the character is just reacting to his or her situation, that's called a plot-driven story.

In my opinion, all stories are character driven because the character and their choices are what decide whether we'll keep reading. Even if the book has a good plot, if the character won't stay on task with the main plot, we grow weary of the story and disinterested. But everyone has a different opinion on this.

That information should tell you something important--that you need to make your story both character-drive and plot-driven. That'll really draw in the readers no matter what they prefer.

But most importantly, character-driven stories are more appealing because readers usually would like to be able to be more assertive in their life like the main character is. The whole reason they're reading your story is to live vicariously through your main character who does things they don't have the guts to do or the means to do in their own life. So be sure to give that to them with an active main character.

RELATE TO THE READER

The main character needs to relate to the reader on some level. The better they relate, the more they'll like the main character and empathize with her. Also, this makes the vicarious nature of the story feel more believable, more real to readers. That gives them the impression that they could possibly do what the main character does in the story, making them feel better about their self.

If you can hook them with a great main character early on, they'll want to go on the journey with her.

READ THE MASTERS

Find some or the best sellers out there and read their first paragraph. Memorize their techniques and figure out why they did what they did. Not all of them will be great, but many will, and you can learn from those.

ASSIGNMENT

Now take what you've learned and use it on the first paragraphs of your stories and on some new stories you're starting. I write opening lines, paragraphs, and chapters for book ideas I have just for fun and to see if it's interesting. Have fun with it! By the time you've done it with several stories, it'll be natural to you.

Good luck, and as always, VOTE if you liked this chapter!